• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filed VAWA 10 months ago now in removal proceedings and scarred

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dee80

What is the name of your state? VA

I would like to know your opinion.

I came to US on J-1 visa in February 2005. I met my husband and I got crazy for him and he for me. After it was cancelled - i think it was in March or so(not my fault) I started living with him. We decided to get married and did so in October that year. Soon after marriage he started abusing me. Locking me in the house, threatening me, forcing me in sexual way too. I fleed once and got caught by police and got DUI. Abuse continued and after I had him arrested in January 2006 for domestic abuse (he was convicted by judge 2 months later at court) , we separated. In June we got a interview for my I-130/AOS application and we decided to go there together. We showed proof of true marriage but we addmited to be separated. Immigration officer put my case on hold and in the next few months my husband kept blackmailing me that if I dont move back to him he will withdraw the petition. He did so in August or September. I filed my VaWa in September (with Vermont service center) and it is still pending, I got my PrimaFaciae right away though. About 2 weeks ago I got letter from local immigration office saying I was put into removal proceedings and am required to appear in front of immigration judge. My lawyer says I should wait till my petition gets approved. Now I am stressed out and scared because I am affraid my DUI 2 years ago can be a reason for possible rejection of my case despite I have a very strong evidence of abuse. I have submited a document from my home country stating I never had any criminal offence there but it might be not enough.

I am still separated from my husband who has been stalling our divorce because he knows I have a very nice and loving boyfriend now and he does not want me to get re-married. He is craving to hurt me in any way and hopes I will get deported for fleeing from him.

Dee80

Hi, thanks for reply. I tried to copy&past the link but that website says there are no matches...

SHORTY LONG

What is the name of your state? VA

I am still separated from my husband who has been stalling our divorce because he knows I have a very nice and loving boyfriend now and he does not want me to get re-married. He is craving to hurt me in any way and hopes I will get deported for fleeing from him.
From your post about your soon to be ex-husband abuse, you should file a
"Restraining Order" against him. About your DUI, if this is your only infraction,
and no one was injured including property damage, you should be OK. I am
sort of surprised your Attorney has not discussed this with you. For unless
you have not disclosed all the facts etc., your [DUI] if none of the above apply
does not fall under bad moral turpitude.

Lastly, I hope the link evcalyptos shared will provide you more information
regarding your situation.

Dee80

Thanks a lot.

No my DUI was pretty simple. They stopped me about 200 yeards away from my house because I had no headlights on and it was quite dark. I had 0.08.

Yes, I have restraning order on him, but the judge said it should be only for physical contact since she thought we should stay in mail/e-mail contact because we were married. It was a bad decision because he keeps e-mailing me a writing me letters every day since we separated (year and half ago). I feel it as emotional abuse like trying to find out who I am with, about my family, friends etc. But nothing threatening or evil as I could use as a proof. He is too smart for that. He keeps me updated with what ever he found out about me lately and its very frustrating. I have changed my phone number so at least he cant call me anymore... I keep e-mail contact because I want to know what he is up to but I am always scared to log in.

Last edited:

SHORTY LONG

Thanks a lot.

No my DUI was pretty simple. They stopped me about 200 yeards away from my house because I had no headlights on and it was quite dark. I had 0.08.

Yes, I have restraning order on him, but the judge said it should be only for physical contact since she thought we should stay in mail/e-mail contact because we were married. It was a bad decision because he keeps e-mailing me a writing me letters every day since we separated (year and half ago). I feel it as emotional abuse like trying to find out who I am with, about my family, friends etc. But nothing threatening or evil as I could use as a proof. He is too smart for that. He keeps me updated with what ever he found out about me lately and its very frustrating. I have changed my phone number so at least he cant call me anymore... I keep e-mail contact because I want to know what he is up to but I am always scared to log in.
Dee80, thank you for further sharing. Did the info link that evcalyptos share
help? About your email from soon to be ex-husband, just be very careful of
any attachments he may send that require you to open. Since he is as you
say "abusive" then he might try & send you a virus and or Trojan that would
do harm to your computer. he might try and contest divorce which prolongs
it, and cost more money, but sooner or later it will become final. Until then,
and whatever you have to contend with in your Immigration process, try
and walk a straight and narrow path; keep parties on the down low as
well as your present boyfriend. Lastly, do all you can to keep yourself
safe: Car-door locked (and lights on) when needed, House or
Apartment; Windows locked etc., OK, OK.
Curious if I may inquire, what Country are you from. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">