• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

foreign fiancee with no intent to immigrate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pjs2knd

This is an interesting and somewhat complicated problem that I really need some advice on.

I am an American and I live and work in Russia.

I am engaged to be married to a Belarusain citizen this coming summer.

We will be married twice. Once in June in Belarus officially. Then a church ceremony in my home state, Vermont, in the USA in August. Then we will both live together in Russia for several years.

Here is the problem:

She needs the means to attend our wedding in the USA in August. To my mind, to begin the immigration process is not appropriate at this point. And the time between the weddings is too short for her to gain permission to enter the States as an immigrant.
Furthermore, a tourist visa would be difficult because I would have to convince the US Embassy that she does not intend to stay in the USA.

What do you suggest we do? The US Embassy in Belarus suggested the K-3 Visa... but my research, correct me if I'm wrong, proves that we can only begin the application for this AFTER we wed - June will be too late to start this process.

I am open to hiring a lawyer to help us with these matters if he/she is familiar with Belarusian immigration issues.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ImmigAttyLana

Belarussian immigration matters have absolutely nothing to do with anything since it's to the US you are trying to get her to be able to come. You will not be able to get a K-3 visa in any quick timeframe, but she may be able to get a visitor's visa, provided you are able to sufficiently document your intention to stay and work in Russia and her substantial ties to Belarus and/or Russia since you are there and the rest of her family as well. FOr this you will both need to come up with much supporting documentation, but it is absolutely doable.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further assistance with this matter.

evcalyptos

pjs2knd said:
She needs the means to attend our wedding in the USA in August. To my mind, to begin the immigration process is not appropriate at this point. And the time between the weddings is too short for her to gain permission to enter the States as an immigrant.
Furthermore, a tourist visa would be difficult because I would have to convince the US Embassy that she does not intend to stay in the USA.
The appropriate visa for a visit is: A visitor's visa! (B1/B2)
Yes, they are difficult to get in her case. What would help her succeed is to show not only HER ties to her home country, but her USC spouse's ties there. Document yourself well to help her out.

I can't believe the Consulate... just goes to show, do NOT ask them for immigration advice in the future. A K3 is for the purpose of moving to the US.
When you are ready to move, file petition I-130 for her, but file it overseas, don't let them tell you to get a K3 or anything from the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">