• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend's college mess, please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daria26

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hello:
I've asked you about my girlfriend that wants to go to school here, she's on J-1 visa. She's accepted to the university in FL, but she has to go back to her country and apply for student visa from home, you told me she can't adjust her status here from J-1. Now she's telling me that on the paperwork for the college she filled out that she's here on a tourist visa. Not sure why she did it. Any chance of ajusting her status here?? We are both confused... thank you

ImmigAttyLana

No, she is here on a J-1 visa so she will most likely not be able to change status to F-1 within the US. If she is here on a tourist visa, then she is on a B-2 visa, but still the chances are very slim that she can change status to F-1 within the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">