• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend needs US citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cruxian

What is the name of your state? California

Okay so me and my girlfriend have been in a long distance relationship for roughly 2 years now (Please no naysaying). She lives in Edmonton, Alberta. I live in California. We have visited eachother many times, I go there for a month every few months to "live" with her.

The problem we have run into lately is we both want her to move here but we have exhausted so many options for ways to get into the US we don't know what to do anymore. I hear of some people getting into the US fairly easily. We have discussed getting married but that is sort of a last resort idea, and getting an attorney we heard was the only real way for it to work and between us we don't have a huge amount of cash.

Can someone please point me in the right direction, im really desperate for her to move here, and we are looking for any legal solution.

ImmigAttyLana

You need to file for a fiancee visa on her behalf and it will take about 7-10 months for her to be able to get it so that she can enter the US and you can get married. Then once you are married, she will be able to file for permanent residence (green card) on the basis of marriage. Citizenship will come only after she has been a permanent resident for a period of 3 years, as long as she is married to you.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

evcalyptos

We have discussed getting married but that is sort of a last resort idea, and getting an attorney we heard was the only real way for it to work and between us we don't have a huge amount of cash.
Getting married is the easiest option; here are her other choices:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA_

You don't "need" a lawyer to do a marriage-based case, but you might find it a huge time saver.

Cruxian

Okay, assuming we don't want to get married right this second, and she needs to be here by January of 2008. We have heard having an attorney can speed up the processes of getting into the country and raises your chances significantly.

Also, we are looking really thoroughly into the student visa, and we ran into 1 problem i was hoping someone could help with. My mother was going to be her sponsor but she is behind on taxes and is self-employed. I was looking at the poverty line, we have an asset amount well over the line, and she makes quite a bit of money but she is in debt. I know my girlfriend would be fine here especially if im working as well. My question is, for sponsorship, does the poverty line come before or after taxes.

ImmigAttyLana

She cannot be here by January 2008 if you don't do something to sponsor her coming to the US. An attorney cannot do any miracles especially if there is no case pending. If she wants to get a student visa, she first has to be accepted into a college or university and the school will provide the paperwork on the basis of which she will have to apply for a student visa.

If she enters as a visitor, she can only stay a limited amount of time and she must not have the intention to immigrate at the time of entering as a visitor.

If you are going to petition for her, you can only do so as her fiance (intention to get married within 90 days of her entering the US on a fiancee visa0 or as her spouse (assuming you get married before she enters the US)

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Cruxian

The main thing im concerned about is this, we have a college that she will get into, its a community college and we've been talking to the woman that does all the visa filing. So there's no worry there, but my mom is behind on her taxes, and is self-employed. She has a sufficient income to support her by far, above the poverty line by alot. But will being behind on taxes stop her from being able to be a valid sponsor?

ImmigAttyLana

Possibly, yes. She needs to be able to show proof of her current income and proof of her income on tax returns for which there has to BE a tax return. Please note, also, that there is a good likelihood the F-1 visa application will be denied if the sponsor is the mother of the fiance/boyfriend as there will be a presumption that the intent to come to the US is not to study but to be with the boyfriend/fiance so be aware of that.

Cruxian

The lady we spoke to at the college said to post that my mother is just a family friend of hers and not to mention anything about our relationship. Also, would it work if someone put 15,000 dollars into an account for us, showed it as proof of stability, then they take the money back after she's here? Would that work?

boodle

it could work. that's what i did before when i went on a student visa and it worked. we borrowed some money to show proof of stability. but we kept the money in the bank for a few months instead of withdrawing right away after getting here just in case they did any checks. just make sure that you get to pay the tuition fees on time or any other fees. i'm not sure if it's still the same now though.

Silverplum

Thanks for the useful information Evcal, you're really doing your job here by helping people.
First of all, everyone here is a volunteer. You'd be better served by being just a teensy bit grateful. :rolleyes:

Secondly, your gf does not NEED a visa. She WANTS a visa. Two different things.

Thirdly, just because folks here don't rubber-stamp all your dumb ideas does not mean they are not HELPING you. It means they are helping you within the limits of the LAW. And what type of site did you seek? A LEGAL site. Therefore, no one has acted in a manner you could not predict. Again, I give you the "rollie eye" because you are acting like a doofus: :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">