• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Awwronn

My girlfriend is hoping to travel to the US with a passport only and get married here then apply for a green card once we're married. What doe I have to do to make sure she becomes legal?

FlyingRon

I assume we're talking about a VWP entry when you mean without a visa? Entering on a short duration entry and immediately getting married will likely be construed as a violation of the non-immigrant intent. Even if you come on a longer duration visa (like an F-1 or whatever), you're well advised not to get married within the first few months for fear that you violated the intent of that visa.

I presume you are a US citizen?

As pointed out, the proper way to do this is to apply for a K-1 visa. Then once you are married, you can file an I-130 for her to get her conditional green card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">