• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green card for father of USC child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sasha0414

I live in Ohio. My boyfriend is an Indonesian national living in the U.S. On a temporary work visa. He has a 4 year old son who is a USC. Is it possible for him to apply for a green card through the immediate family relationship to his son? Or does his son have to be older/fill the application out for his father?

LdiJ

I live in Ohio. My boyfriend is an Indonesian national living in the U.S. On a temporary work visa. He has a 4 year old son who is a USC. Is it possible for him to apply for a green card through the immediate family relationship to his son? Or does his son have to be older/fill the application out for his father?
The son would have to be old enough to sponsor his father. That means I believe, age 21.

FlyingRon

The son would have to be old enough to sponsor his father. That means I believe, age 21.
That's right but for the wrong reason. The age limit to be a financial sponsor is only 18 and the sponsor doesn't need to be the petitioner.

In order for a US citizen to petition for his parents or siblings, the citizen must be 21 or older.
They can be under 21 to petition for a spouse or child.

Just Blue

Perhaps you could look into sponsoring you BF.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">