• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green card process for Brazilian to US via marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B2USA

I'm in North Carolina. My girlfriend is here from Brazil, on a tourist visa. Her tourist visa ends in September. We want to get married, and have her stay in the United States. We would like to get this process started, but are unsure where to begin, what all is involved in the process, and the duration/cost of everything. Any help on this matter is much appreciated.

That said, we also need to handle the prenumptial agreement. However, that may be a different legal department.

Thank you

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You begin by going to an immigration attorney. Once you are married you can file a I-130 petition on her behalf to get her a conditional green card.
There are serious implications here for you (you must support her even if you break up) and for her (she must show she didn't violate the tourist visa coming in). Brazil and the US are not in the best of diplomatic terms right now with regard to passports and visas. You need help.

B2USA

A lawyer quoted me at around $4,000, which was just the legal fees, not even including the form processing fees. Is this process too complicated to handle without a lawyer? I was told the processing fee for the green card by itself would be $1,300. The lawyer also listed many other different steps through this whole process. I looked at this website:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/green-card-immediate-relative-us-citizen

Which says:

Get a Green Card While Inside the United States

One Step Process
Certain people are eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) while inside the United States. An immediate relative relationship allows you to apply on Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to become a permanent resident at the same time your U.S. citizen petitioner files Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. For more information on filing for permanent residence in one step, see our Concurrent Filing page.

So my spouse would file a I-485 and I would file a I-130? What all else is invovled, and does this all come after these forms are processed?

Thanks

Proserpina

A lawyer quoted me at around $4,000, which was just the legal fees, not even including the form processing fees. Is this process too complicated to handle without a lawyer? I was told the processing fee for the green card by itself would be $1,300. The lawyer also listed many other different steps through this whole process. I looked at this website:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/green-card-immediate-relative-us-citizen

Which says:

Get a Green Card While Inside the United States

One Step Process
Certain people are eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) while inside the United States. An immediate relative relationship allows you to apply on Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to become a permanent resident at the same time your U.S. citizen petitioner files Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. For more information on filing for permanent residence in one step, see our Concurrent Filing page.

So my spouse would file a I-485 and I would file a I-130? What all else is invovled, and does this all come after these forms are processed?

Thanks

You do need to speak with an attorney. Signing the I-864 has serious financial ramifications. Recent case law has determined that a pre- or post-nup does not negate your obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">