• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green Card question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tamcan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My fiance has been married twice, had 4 children here, and was brought into country legally by father back in 1970. he has been here ever since. He has Social security and drivers license but his green card has expired. his father was not naturalized until he was 30 years old so I cannot go the N600 route. What do we have to do to maintain his legal right to be here

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My fiance has been married twice, had 4 children here, and was brought into country legally by father back in 1970. he has been here ever since. He has Social security and drivers license but his green card has expired. his father was not naturalized until he was 30 years old so I cannot go the N600 route. What do we have to do to maintain his legal right to be here

Your fiance's status hasn't expired - he's still a legal permanent resident. It's only his actual card (which really is little more than proof he has the right to live and work in the US as he so chooses) which has expired.

You can find out more here: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/renew-green-card

Or, as Steve indicates, go straight for the N400 route (which would actually be cheaper since you can do that without the expense of renewing the green-card.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">