• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1-B Transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bayern91

Hi,

Iam on my OPT right now working for Emp A in the USA. I applied for H-1 b thru Emp-A (the company Iam working now), sadly, it was too late and I ran out out of quota (Master's cap) but luckily, I applied for my H1-B thru another employer-B and I got my I-797(h1-b).

Iam still working for A and(Iam planning on working here for long ) as Iam still on my OPT and it expires Oct 1st-2007.

As said, starting October 1st, my status from F-1 (OPT) changes to H-1b for Emp-B, but I never worked for B or will.

What should I do ? When should I apply for the tranfer ? Now or October 2nd ? Since I never worked for Emp-B I don't have Pay-stubs ?

Can someone please help me ?

Any help, much appreciated.

Regards.

Last edited:

Laxminc

You have to act fast. If Employer A applies a New H1B using Employer B I-797 doucment before Oct 1st , You donot need to have any paystubs from Employer B.If you want to transfer after October 1st then it will be a problem. Because Technically you sould be working for Employer B.

Since you are already counted against the quota with Employer B, it is not subjected to any quota.

SHORTY LONG

Hi,

Iam on my OPT right now working for Emp A in the USA. I applied for H-1 b thru Emp-A (the company Iam working now), sadly, it was too late and I ran out out of quota (Master's cap) but luckily, I applied for my H1-B thru another employer-B and I got my I-797(h1-b).

Iam still working for A and(Iam planning on working here for long ) as Iam still on my OPT and it expires Oct 1st-2007.

As said, starting October 1st, my status from F-1 (OPT) changes to H-1b for Emp-B, but I never worked for B or will.

What should I do ? When should I apply for the tranfer ? Now or October 2nd ? Since I never worked for Emp-B I don't have Pay-stubs ?

Can someone please help me ?

Any help, much appreciated.

Regards.
US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE!

ImmigAttyLana

Just have employer A file for a petition on your behalf and you should get that approved, if otherwise approvable, for H-1B with company A.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Sachin

Lana,

I am currently working in India. My H1B (first H1B) is approved from company A (Start
date Oct 1st 2007). I have an offer from Company B, and would like to work for them.
Can Company B file for H1B transfer or file a new H1B pettion without me
having entered US? Will this application be subject to H1B Cap?

What are the other alternatives that can help me join Company B (asap)?

Sachin.

Last edited:

Sachin

Lana,

I am currently working in India. My H1B (first H1B) is approved from company A (Start
date Oct 1st 2007). I have an offer from Company B, and would like to work for them.
Can Company B file for H1B transfer or file a new H1B pettion without me
having entered US? Will this application be subject to H1B Cap?

What are the other alternatives that can help me join Company B (asap)?

Sachin.

What are the other alternatives that can help me join Company B (asap with and
without entering US)?

ImmigAttyLana

It can only be a transfer if you are already in the US IN valid H-1B status. Otherwise, it is just a new petition by a new employer that is not subject to the cap.

Sachin

It can only be a transfer if you are already in the US IN valid H-1B status. Otherwise, it is just a new petition by a new employer that is not subject to the cap.
Thanks for the quick reply.

It will be great help if you can answer some more questions:
* I assume that the new application will go through consular processing. Won't it?
* What are the factors on which this petition will be approved?
* At the stamping interview will I be asked for the reasons to not join Company A?
How will that affect the outcome?
* If the VISA is denied at the stamping, will I be able to join company A?
* Should I go trough this proccess at all? Do you advise me? (Reply - as per your
experience and/or statistics on similar cases that you know off)
* Will the new petition be subject to a Cap if Company A cancels my H-1B?

ImmigAttyLana

1. It will go through consular processing only if you do not already have a valid H-1B visa which you may have gotten through company A.
2. Same factors as for any H-1B petition, whether new or transfer.
3. No, this is irrelevant to the outcome of this petition or this consular processing, if there is one.
4. If there is still a valid H-1B approval notice for company A and a valid H-1B visa on which you can travel and the job offer is still open from company A, then yes, you can always join company A during the validity of that approval notice.
5. That's up to you. I cannot advise you on this since I don't know anything about your situation or your plans/objectives, etc.
6. No.

Sachin

Sorry to bother you again.
Hopefully these are my last queries.

* I assume that the new application will go through consular processing. Won't it?
1. It will go through consular processing only if you do not already have a valid H-1B visa which you may have gotten through company A.
No more stamping? I have a valid VISA from Company A.

* Will the new petition be subject to a Cap if Company A cancels my H-1B?
How long after cancellation?

Last edited:

ImmigAttyLana

No, as long as you have a valid visa for the same nonimmigrant classification, that visa is valid for travel even if your employment with an employer other than the original once, as long as you have a valid H-1B approval notice for that employer.

Sachin

Lana,

Is there any time limit for Company B to file the new petition?

Just to explain my situation again (so you don_t have to go through lot of hypothetical situations listed above). I have a valid petition from Company A and VISA is stamped with start date Oct 1st 2007. I have not yet traveled to US through company A. Also I never held H1B status before. Now, company B wants to file a new petition, before I travel to US.

Is there any time limit for Company B to file the new petition?

Last edited:

ImmigAttyLana

No, it can really be filed at any time.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">