• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1 Transfer queries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hshindey

What is the name of your state? CA
Hi,

I am currently in the USA with L1 visa working for company A. I have applied for H1 visa thru company B this year (2007) and the petition got approved. Company B told me that after October they will apply for amendment and I can start working for them. Can someone answer the following queries?
1) What is L1 amendment and is it legal to work for company B once the amendment is filed?
2) Can I continue with company A once my amendment is approved?
3) I am planning to go to my country for vacation end of this year. For returning to USA do I need visa stamping?
4) Now I have got a better offer from company C in the USA. Is it possible to transfer my H1 visa to company C with my H1 approval notice without letting company B apply for the amendment?

Thanks !!

ImmigAttyLana

1. What amendment are they talking about? If they had already filed a H-1B petition that was approved on your behalf and it was approved as a change of status from L-1 to H-1B, effective 10/1/07, nothing further is needed since on that date, your status will automatically change from L-1 to H-1B.
2. If the H-1B was approved as a change of status effective 10/1/07, after that date you are officially in H-1B status and not in L-1 status and, therefore, you do not have employment authorization to continue working for company A.
3. Yes, if you will intend to return in H-1B status in order to continue working for company B, you will need to obtain a H-1B visa at a US Consulate abroad prior to being able to return to the US.
4. It would not be a transfer since you are not yet in H-1B status, but assuming you have a valid H-1B approval notice from company B, then company C can file a new petition on your behalf that would not be subject to the quota.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

hshindey

Hi Lana,
Thank you very much for your immediate response.
1. As I mentioned company B has filed a H1-B petition on my behalf and it is approved. But this is not approved as change of status since by the time I applied for H1-B I didnt have L1 visa. Now I am being in L1 they want to change my status from L1 to H1 by applying an amendment.

Please advice if my understanding on (4) is correct.
Provided I get the valid approval notice from company B, company C can apply for H1-B transfer on my behalf without me getting the visa stamping. If this is possible will there be any complications in getting the transfer since I wouldn't even started working for company B and I will not have any paystubs form company B. Here I am assuming that visa stamping is needed only to enter the USA. Since I am already in the USA i dont need the stamping.

Please clarify.

Thanks !!

ImmigAttyLana

Yes, assuming the amended petition to file for a change of status is approved, then company C can file a new petition on your behalf that would not be subject to the quota and that would enable you to start working without getting a H-1B stamp. As long as you will not leave the US, you will not need a H-1B visa stamp. The first time you depart the US, you will need to get a H-1B visa stamp in order to be able to return to the US in H-1B status.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

hshindey

Thanks for you clarifications. I have few more queries.
Can company B apply amendment petition for change of status now? How long will it take to get approved? As soon as it is approved can company C file a H1-B transfer petition on my behalf or do they need to wait till 10/1?

Thanks !!

ImmigAttyLana

Yes, if you are now in L-1 status in the US, then a change of status petition can be filed now. Then once you get that approval notice, company C can file its petition on your behalf and does not need to wait until 10/1.

hshindey

Approximately how long will it take to get the approval notice for change of status and H1B transfer?

Thanks !!

ImmigAttyLana

It can take several months for regular processing and if you choose premium processing, you can get a decision within 15 days for an additional $1000 filing fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">