• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1B: Can I work 40hr/wk for my employer and 20hr/wk for university?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkoshti

Hi.

I am currently on F1 visa and my H1B is approved for Change of Status. This means I have to start working with my employer from 1 Oct 2007.
I am current working as a Graduate Research Assistant at my university and that covers my tuition for whole semester. But my university says that if I leave my current (Graduate Research Assistantship) job before 1 November 2007, I need to pay the whole tuition (approx.$10,000) from my pocket.
Question:
While working full time (40 hrs/week) with my H1B employer can I also be on my university's payroll system for 20 hr/week (only upto 1 Nov 2007)? Would it create any issues in future?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
~JK

ImmigAttyLana

YOu cannot work for the university unless they too petition for a part time H-1B on your behalf. Continuing to work for the univ. while you are in H-1B status with another employer is unauthorized employment and will have negative consequences for your ability to immigrate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">