• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1b non exempt to F1 to H1b

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jigs2410

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South carolina
Hi,

I graduated after completing my masters in aug 2007 and got h1b exempt in nov 2007 with a university due to lack of funding the position was terminated so i applied for change of status to f1 in aug 2008 . I got f1 in feb 2009 and then applied for capped h1b in april 2009 and got my h1b approved upto sept 2012.

I am going to apply for h1b extension in Mar 2012 and wanted to know how many year of h1b visa will i get ?

Is H1b exempt time and time i went back on f1 counted towards my 6 years of h1b visa?

ImmigAttyLana

Yes, time spent in H-1B status, regardless of the employer will count toward the 6 year maximum in H-1B status. However, you may be able to qualify for extensions of stay in H-1B status beyond the 6 year maximum if an employment-based permanent residence petition is filed on your behalf in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">