• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1B out of status, new petition,,Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

venom6328291

All,
I am in a very tricky situation and would appreciate any help.

I was in the US until recently and unfortunately accumulated one month of out of status. I had a valid VISA during this period. (My visa is valid until 2013). Now , my new employer in India wants me to go to US on a new project. My previous employer has revoked my petition. My new employer is willing to file a new petition.

My question is whether I should go for a new visa stamping on my passport? If I do go for a visa stamping, what are my chances?
Would it suffice If my new employer files a new petition on my behalf. In this case, I will continue to hold onto to an existing visa but with a new petition. Is this legal? Wouldn't my visa stamp be void, the moment my previous employer revoked my petition?

Would I run into any problems at port of entry? It will be great to know any thoughts on mitigating my risks.

ImmigAttyLana

As long as you have a valid H-1B visa and you get a new H-1B approval notice from the new employer, you should be fine traveling to the US for the assignment/project.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

venom6328291

As long as you have a valid H-1B visa and you get a new H-1B approval notice from the new employer, you should be fine traveling to the US for the assignment/project.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Thanks a lot Lana for your time.

I am in India now, so will consular processing apply to me? Should I ask my employer to file a petition and wait for a RFE in my case?
Or can i do something in advance in my petition to mitigate the risks of a RFE. I am just trying to be super cautious here.

Any other risks that you foresee?

Thanks in advance

ImmigAttyLana

If you are outside the US and not seeking an extension of stay but it is a new H-1B visa petition, there is no apparent reason why a RFE should be issued on that point. There may be other issues for a RFE but I cannot speculate on those since I don't know anything about the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">