• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H4-B or visitor visa for Canadian citizen getting married to H1-B in the US?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ragz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New Jersey

I am an Indian Citizen working in the USA on H1-B, waiting for my priority date to go current ( my employer having filed for my GC ). My fiancee is a canadian citizen and we are getting married early next year.

1. Does she absolutely need the H4-B dependent visa if she wants to stay in the USA with me to begin with, or can she stay for 6 months without any Visa as canadian citizens usually can and then explore our options?

2. Also, what are her options if she wants to work in the USA? Once she is in the USA on visitor or H4 visa, can she look for jobs and apply for a TN visa from within the states? If she does, would it be a problem to get it granted since my employers already filed for my GC?

Would greatly appreciate any help to throw some light on this matter. Thanks.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

She can not abuse either the TN visa or the visa-free temporary entry for Canadians if she intends to immigrate here. She needs a proper immigrant visa (and work authorization).

Proserpina

She can not abuse either the TN visa or the visa-free temporary entry for Canadians if she intends to immigrate here. She needs a proper immigrant visa (and work authorization).
Absolutely agreed. There is no legal roundabout way of avoiding what actually needs to be done.

OHRoadwarrior

Marry her in Canada if you cannot wait. Make sure she does not lie when she comes to visit as a Canadian citizen until her paperwork is legal. She will need to return to Canada after her visit. As we do not know your exact status at the time you wish to marry, come back then and ask again.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">