• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H4 Premium Processing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goodluck123

What is the name of your state? NJ

I need to change my status from H1B to H4. Can this H4 application be filed using premium processing?

Thank you for advises.

ImmigAttyLana

No, this is not possible. What is such a rush? Just file for the change of status or if you absolutely need to have the new status right away (I cannot imagine why that would be), you can depart the US and reenter in H-4 status once you get the H-4 visa.

goodluck123

Lana,

Thank you for the reply. The reason for such a rush is that I am on H1B but I need to change to H4 status due to company's financial situation. I heard that it usually takes three months or even longer to get the approval notice of changing status to H4. And during these few months, I may find a new job and apply to H1B again.

So some confusion rose. If in H4 pending, I can’t work until the new H1B get approved, right?

If the answer to the above question is correct, then I will use H1B premium processing in order to be able to work earlier. But in this situation the H4 may get approved later than the new H1B, will I become a H4 holder again? Is there any way to make sure the new H1B take precedence than the H4?

Thank you so much for answering my questions.

ImmigAttyLana

No usually, if one petition is pending while you file for a new change of status, you indicate that and one is adjudicated before the next one is.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

goodluck123

No usually, if one petition is pending while you file for a new change of status, you indicate that and one is adjudicated before the next one is.
Thank you, Lana. But I don't quite understand your meaning. Did you say that if one petition was pending (H4 pending) while I filed for a new change of status (H1B), the new one was finalized as my status, i.e. the H1B would be my status?

But how about the H4 get approved later than the H1B application, though H4 petition is filed early?

I appreciate your time and help.

Last edited:

ImmigAttyLana

No, what I was saying is that if the H-4 is pending and you file for the H-1B, indicating that you have a pending H-4 COS, the H-4 would be adjudicated first or reviewed at least and then the H-1B would be adjudicated. You would need to make sure you explain that the H-4 is still pending so that the scenario you describe does NOT occur.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

ruby99

H4 query

Recently I applied for my change of status from H-1B to H-4(applied thro'my husband's current employer). My H-4 application is pending. Please let me know can my husband change his job while my H-4 application is pending? Can I also apply for new H-4 thro' my husband's new company while my current H-4 application is pending?

Last edited:

ImmigAttyLana

Yes, your husband can get a new H-1B employer while your H-4 is pending and you don't need a new H-4 just because he changes jobs. Your H-4 status is based on your spouse's STATUS as H-1B and NOT on the particular employer.

sshari_s

We are in a similar situation .. im planning on applying for my wife's H1 to H4 COS based on my H1. Can she quit her job as soon as we apply for the H4 COS and its pending? or do we have to wait till the H4 COS is approved before she can quit the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">