• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raztaz

What is the name of your state?
Georgia

Hi,

I filed for citizenship in February and had my interview on June 13th. However, no decision could be made because of an arrest record in Feb 04. Here were the charges:

1. False Informing - I had claimed to be my roommate
2. Minor Intoxication
3. Public Indecency
4. Public Intoxication

I hired a lawyer and the prosecution decided to drop all charges except Minor Intoxication and that was dropped after 1 year. Official disposition of this case is "Nolle Pros".

I am worried about the False Informing charges the most. During the interview I had to tell the interviewer that I had claimed to be my roommate. I was charged in Indiana and here is the Indiana statute regarding False Informing.

IC 35-44-2-2
A person who:
(1) gives a false report of the commission of a crime or gives false information in the official investigation of the commission of a crime, knowing the report or information to be false;
(2) gives a false alarm of fire to the fire department of a governmental entity, knowing the alarm to be false;
(3) makes a false request for ambulance service to an ambulance service provider, knowing the request to be false;
(4) gives a false report concerning a missing child (as defined in IC 10-13-5-4) or missing endangered adult (as defined in IC 12-7-2-131.3) or gives false information in the official investigation of a missing child or missing endangered adult knowing the report or information to be false;
(5) makes a complaint against a law enforcement officer to the state or municipality (as defined in IC 8-1-13-3) that employs the officer:
(A) alleging the officer engaged in misconduct while performing the officer's duties; and
(B) knowing the complaint to be false; or
(6) makes a false report of a missing person, knowing the report or information is false;
commits false informing, a Class B misdemeanor.

Should I be waiting with my bags packed ready to leave this country?

Thanks.

SHORTY LONG

What is the name of your state?
Georgia

Hi,

I filed for citizenship in February and had my interview on June 13th. However, no decision could be made because of an arrest record in Feb 04. Here were the charges:

1. False Informing - I had claimed to be my roommate
2. Minor Intoxication
3. Public Indecency
4. Public Intoxication

I hired a lawyer and the prosecution decided to drop all charges except Minor Intoxication and that was dropped after 1 year. Official disposition of this case is "Nolle Pros".

I am worried about the False Informing charges the most. During the interview I had to tell the interviewer that I had claimed to be my roommate. I was charged in Indiana and here is the Indiana statute regarding False Informing.

IC 35-44-2-2
A person who:
(1) gives a false report of the commission of a crime or gives false information in the official investigation of the commission of a crime, knowing the report or information to be false;
(2) gives a false alarm of fire to the fire department of a governmental entity, knowing the alarm to be false;
(3) makes a false request for ambulance service to an ambulance service provider, knowing the request to be false;
(4) gives a false report concerning a missing child (as defined in IC 10-13-5-4) or missing endangered adult (as defined in IC 12-7-2-131.3) or gives false information in the official investigation of a missing child or missing endangered adult knowing the report or information to be false;
(5) makes a complaint against a law enforcement officer to the state or municipality (as defined in IC 8-1-13-3) that employs the officer:
(A) alleging the officer engaged in misconduct while performing the officer's duties; and
(B) knowing the complaint to be false; or
(6) makes a false report of a missing person, knowing the report or information is false;
commits false informing, a Class B misdemeanor.

Should I be waiting with my bags packed ready to leave this country?

Thanks.
Why should you worry? You said all Charges were dropped except the
Minor Intoxication, so what is there to worry about? And you do understand
what Nollie Pros means do you not?

raztaz

Hi,

I am worried because I admitted to the immigration officer that I did lie to the cops about my identity and in the N-400 application even if you admit to a CIMT, you cannot be found to be a person of GMC? Am I reading this wrong?

Thanks.

raztaz

I had another question regarding this application. During the interview, the lady told me that I should hear something back in 2 weeks. It has been a month and a half since my interview and I have not heard anything from the USCIS regarding this application. Any ideas what is the relevant time line in Atlanta w.r.t. cases like this? Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">