• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hoping to relocate from the US to England.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alice2589

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am hoping to relocate to England with my fiance and son. I am a British citizen but both my fiance and son have US citizenship. I have been doing research on what we need to do in order to move over there but I'm having difficulties understanding exactly what we should do. How hard is it to obtain visas for my fiance and son? What is the best way to apply for visas for the best chance of getting them approved? What steps should I take? Would my fiance be able to work over there? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Just Blue

I am hoping to relocate to England with my fiance and son. I am a British citizen but both my fiance and son have US citizenship. I have been doing research on what we need to do in order to move over there but I'm having difficulties understanding exactly what we should do. How hard is it to obtain visas for my fiance and son? What is the best way to apply for visas for the best chance of getting them approved? What steps should I take? Would my fiance be able to work over there? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Just to clarify, is the sons father (biological) your fiancé?

LdiJ

Thank you.
Consult the closest british consulate or embassy, they will be able to provide you that information.

alice2589

Yes, my fiance is the biological father of my son.

I'm pretty sure they need more than just passports for us to move over there.

Banned_Princess

Yes, my fiance is the biological father of my son.

I'm pretty sure they need more than just passports for us to move over there.

I'm sure what our members are trying to say is that this is a US LAW site, pertaining to US LAW ONLY. And that portion of your question, is how to leave the USA, and that is they just need a passport.

Or you could try calling the consolate and asking people who know exactly what they need. As suggested

I mean, Pa doesnt care if your family never comes back.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they need more than passports. They need visas that will permit them to enter the country to live there for more than six months. They must apply for those visas while still in the US and they cannot enter the UK until they have received them. Once your fiance receives his visa and enters the UK, you must marry within 6 months, at which point he must apply for a marriage visa which will allow him to remain for - I think it's two years but the laws have changed QUITE recently (as in, less than two months ago) so that may have changed as well. At the end of that time he can apply for a long residence visa which will allow him to remain permanently.

I have not researched the appropriate visas that your son will need.

This is very, very definitely not a DIY project. You will doing yourself and your loved ones a great disservice if you fail to get appropriate advice from the consulate or an immigration attorney who is knowledgable about current UK laws - as I said, the laws changed only last July.

Edited to add: the probationary period has changed from two years to five years.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">