• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospitalized Long After Overstay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P A U L

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

This is in regards to a CA "resident" that has overstayed the visa. The individual has recently been hospitalized for "headaches" and probably found evidence of substance use in the blood. No valid ID, and even the passport is lost.

What can be done to pay cash for the hospital bill and be discharged? Could the hospital proceed with deportation process? Will law enforcement be involved?

P A U L

Oh really? What branch of the government would they be a department of then since the government is the only entity in the US that can deport anybody?
apparently they do it without the federal gov and fly out themselves the illegal resident patients that can't pay bills.

patient i know can pay, therefore i was wondering if there may be any other potential problems to be aware of. because the hospital admission was likely drug related, will the police be involved? because patient has no identification (none exists), will the police be involved? because the patient is illegally present in the USA, will any branch of law enforcement be involved?

ecmst12

apparently they do it without the federal gov and fly out themselves the illegal resident patients that can't pay bills.
No, they don't, and they can't. Nor do they care if patient is illegal. If patient can and will pay, hospital will be overjoyed.

justalayman

P A U L;3262336]apparently they do it without the federal gov and fly out themselves the illegal resident patients that can't pay bills.
Oh that makes a lot of sense. First, they do not check to see the status of anybody. Second, spending the money to put somebody on a plane to who knows where because the bill didn't get paid is like, well, it's just dumb. Why would they incur the added cost of transportation and a plane if the patient won't pay the bill?

because the hospital admission was likely drug related, will the police be involved?
maybe, maybe not.

P A U L

hence, i ask a legal forum so i don't make my choices off google. especially with its 5+ year old articles.

:D

Proserpina

because the hospital admission was likely drug related, will the police be involved? because patient has no identification (none exists), will the police be involved? because the patient is illegally present in the USA, will any branch of law enforcement be involved?

The hospital doesn't give a flying ferret fart about a patient's immigration status.

No, the police won't get involved. Just like they don't get involved if the addict homeless man down the street has no identification.

P A U L

The hospital doesn't give a flying ferret fart about a patient's immigration status.

No, the police won't get involved. Just like they don't get involved if the addict homeless man down the street has no identification.
Great.

Also, it's not about my wife. She's a legal resident and we have health insurance. I just happen to come to this site (and one other) to ask random legal questions that I'm too cheap to pay a lawyer to ask.

Proserpina

Great.

Also, it's not about my wife. She's a legal resident and we have health insurance. I just happen to come to this site (and one other) to ask random legal questions that I'm too cheap to pay a lawyer to ask.
You should probably expect little to no further assistance; the primary function here is not to answer your curiosity but to help someone with a legitimate issue.

P A U L

You should probably expect little to no further assistance; the primary function here is not to answer your curiosity but to help someone with a legitimate issue.
Well, I think the forum has helped me a great deal already. It wasn't a spur of the moment curiosity neither. I do know someone in need that is in such a situation and I am certain the advice given here will go greatly appreciated.

Proserpina

Well, I think the forum has helped me a great deal already. It wasn't a spur of the moment curiosity neither. I do know someone in need that is in such a situation and I am certain the advice given here will go greatly appreciated.

Okay, you need to stick around here.

That was the most splendid dripping-with-sarcasm example I've seen in forever!

(And no that's not actually me being snarky - I mean it :D )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">