• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to become a Citizen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
CALIFORNIA

I am on a Student VISA studying here from Thailand with my boyfriend I met here. How do I become a US Citizen.. what are some possible ways to obtain a citizenship without marriage?

You become a citizen by being a permanent resident for a certain number of years (3 if based on marriage, 5 if based on work) and then applying for naturalization.

So far you've said nothing that would even give you permanent residency let alone citizenship.

Mass_Shyster

You'll need an immigrant visa before you can apply for citizenship. Your student visa is a non-immigrant visa.

Without gaining immigration status through a family member (spouse), you're pretty much limited to an employment visa or an investor visa. See http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1326.html form more information.

ecmst12

You can look for a company that will sponsor and hire you after you finish school, that would be a first step.

ecmst12

Wait a second, dude, how many personalities and genders do you have? I never do this but post history is ridiculous.

jasonxman

boyfriend speaking:

she if she doesn't continue going to school, she will have to go back to her home country. I'm trying to find the best solution here. I hear that your work has to sponsor you, but that is hard to get since you need to have a special skill, which I don't think she can qualify. Marriage is another option, but that has to be last resort.

Proserpina

boyfriend speaking:

she if she doesn't continue going to school, she will have to go back to her home country. I'm trying to find the best solution here. I hear that your work has to sponsor you, but that is hard to get since you need to have a special skill, which I don't think she can qualify. Marriage is another option, but that has to be last resort.

Okay. Say you get married and you sponsor her and USCIS doesn't think it's a scam..

Can you afford to sponsor her?

Are you willing to accept the possibility that if the marriage doesn't work YOU can be on the hook - permanently - to support her financially?

jasonxman

Okay. Say you get married and you sponsor her and USCIS doesn't think it's a scam..

Can you afford to sponsor her?

Are you willing to accept the possibility that if the marriage doesn't work YOU can be on the hook - permanently - to support her financially?
What do you mean sponsor her? How much does it cost to sponsor? Sorry, the word sponsor leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Proserpina

What do you mean sponsor her? How much does it cost to sponsor? Sorry, the word sponsor leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It doesn't matter whether you like the word or not.

You have to show that you earn enough to ensure your spouse doesn't end up on state aid.

And in terms of the I-864 (the affidavit of support), you can feasibly be forced to pay her up to 125% of the Federal Poverty Level (which evens out at around $1100/month give or take) until one of these conditions is met:

1. She naturalizes.
2. She earns 40 qualifying SS quarters
3. You or she dies
4. She abandons her residency.

Divorce does not end the obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">