• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can Canadian Citizen with Tourist VISA work in USA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gomzilla

Hello from VA Beach,

My mother-in-law is Canadian Citizen and will be here for the next 2 years to take care of our 2yr old son. She would like to work at night and weekends to help out with the bills. Since shes on tourist visa, she plans to travel back every 6mos for a weekend in Canada.

What is the best legal way to do this?

1) Have a company sponsor her? Shes an elderly caregiver and a housekeeper in Canada. Are there companies in VA USA that would do that?

2) Or go for dual citiizenship? I'm US Citizen and my wife is US immigrant and will become US Citizen soon (hopefully in a few months, just waiting for call now anytime)? How will this affect her retirment/pension plan in Canada?

3) Something else? Is there a better way?

Thanks much!

ImmigAttyLana

There is no temporary work visa for this type of position so she will not be eligible for lawful employment authorization. Once your wife (her daughter) becomes a US citizen, she will be able to petition her mother for permanent residence and it will give her permission to work in the US.

bigraven

Follow up question for Lana

I'm a Canadian seeking to move to Texas, a journalist by profession at a major Canadian paper.

What's the easiest way to be able to work legally in the U.S.? Get an employer to sponsor you?

Get someone to marry you?

Also, how stringent are the medical requirements? What kind of medical tests would a Canadian have to go through to be admitted?

Would an immigration lawyer help to expedite matters?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">