• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can we help this family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamiimaj

What is the name of your state? Iowa/California
We are in Iowa now. Our old neighbors from California, a Mom, (her boyfriend) and three children are in California. They are all Mexican citizens and are not here legally. The Mom is the hardest working woman I've ever met. She has recently started taking English courses but mostly uses kids to translate. All three kids were born in Mexico. They are honor roll students and very good kids. In a recent phone call, the kids said they are frightened of being deported. I don't think they know how to begin the process of being here legally and neither do I. What can we do to help this family.We are willing to sponsor them, adopt them, whatever it takes, we just don't know where to begin. Thank you.

ImmigAttyLana

You really cannot do anything for them with the current immigration laws, if they entered the US unlawfully.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

jamiimaj

Could we adopt the children?

If the mother gave up rights and we adopted the children would that keep them here?
Does the Mom have to go back to Mexico to begin the legal immigration process or can she do that from Cali?

SHORTY LONG

From your original post, you stated that they ALL were illegal correct?

If per chance, any of the children were born in the USA, then there would
be a window of opportunity to pursue.

ImmigAttyLana

You cannot do anything for any of them. You cannot adopt them and legalize their status if they entered the US unlawfully. They need to wait until the US immigration laws might change to make it favorable for them to try to legalize their status.

Ozark_Sophist

You cannot do anything for any of them. You cannot adopt them and legalize their status if they entered the US unlawfully. They need to wait until the US immigration laws might change to make it favorable for them to try to legalize their status.
What you can do is advocate for change with your vote, with letters to your Congressional representatives, and by acting to combat the racial stigma attached to Hispanics immigrants.

evcalyptos

If the mother gave up rights and we adopted the children would that keep them here?
Does the Mom have to go back to Mexico to begin the legal immigration process or can she do that from Cali?
What basis does the mom have to immigrate here? Desire is not enough. This article details the routes of legal immigration to the US: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

If they entered the US illegally (snuck over the border) there is NO provision for them to legalize in the US under current law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">