• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I remove an Immigration Visa petition?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Infinity89r

I recently applied for a B1/B2 visit visa to the US so I could attend a clinical elective (I am a final year medical student). My visa was rejected on the grounds that there is an Immigration petition filed on my behalf of which I was not aware. I was aware that one was filed for my mother by her sister, but I did not know that one had been filed for me as well. I was advised by the visa officer to have the petition removed and to reapply

1. What is the process of removing an Immigration Visa petition? How soon can the 'removal' of this petition be processed and updated onto the system? Is there any way to expedite the process?

2. How soon should I re-apply for a visit visa once the petition has been removed? I have a month and a half (50 days) till the start of my elective period.

ImmigAttyLana

I don't believe that you can remove it on your own, if you are one of the derivative beneficiaries. Your mother's sister or whomever is the original petitioner would need to withdraw that petition but even then, there is no guarantee that the nonimmigrant visa would be issued to you if you have not made a showing of no immigrant intent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">