• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does divorce affect sponsorship?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abe1927

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

In 2004 I sponsored a woman on a fiancee visa. We were married, everything was good, but now it looks like we may split. Is she entitled to financial support from me if we get divorced? For how long? Thanks, abeWhat is the name of your state?

ImmigAttyLana

You will be responsible on the affidavit of support grounds. As for whether she gets any spousal support will depend on the terms of the divorce settlement and this is independent of the immigration matter.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

abe1927

Thank you Lana. I believe the responsibilities of sponsorship end as soon as the sponsored party either returns to their home country, or obtain U.S. citizenship. At least, that's what I remember - correct me if I'm wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">