• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long before I receive a green card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

islander

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? :) LA -Louisiana

Hi Lana,
I am married to a USC and recently filed my I-485 in May, I did not send in my affidavit of support and my medical. Can I send them in now that they are ready or do I have to wait until the interview? Also how long will it take for me to receive my green card? I have an appointment to do my fingerprinting and biometrics in July at the Dallas center. I've noticed that some people are receiving theirs in 6 months.

My husband also filed for my five children who are still in Jamaica. We are now in the process of paying for their visas and sending them in to NVC, how long does it normally take for them to receive a visa to come to the USA?

Anxiously awaiting your response.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Hummmer_Laws911

you must be kidding

You are just wasting your time nothing will be done if you have not completed all the application forms. My advice to you, if you have your reciept number, send it together with the rest of the application forms ASAP and then maybe, if you are blessed you might get your card in two years.

melaniee

affidavit of support and medical

Hi Islander
when you receive a letter with an interview date it states that you are to bring along the affidavit of support and medical form ( unopened). Therefore, I assume that it is okay to bring these along at interview stage. In my case I had an attorney submitt my application and these were sent at the same time as the I-485 which I feel helped everthing go along faster.

Last edited:

islander

Hi Melaniee,
Thank you so much for your kind and intellegent response. It is highly appreciated. Have a wonderful day.

islander

Fammic,
If you read my post in it's entirety you would have noticed that I have done all I need to do, required by the USCIS and only wanted information from someone who is capable of intellegence and an upstanding attitude. I did not seek you and I propose if you can't be decent and in order in your responses, you should keep your mouth shut. If I had gotten this information from Lana or anyone with some sense of respect, it would be appreciated. I suggest that you do not respond to anything I have posted. I will not respond to anything else you have to say, so keep your arrogance to yourself. Thank you!

Last edited:

melaniee

islander said:
If you read my post in it's entirety you would have noticed that I have done all I need to do, required by the USCIS and only wanted information from someone who is capable of intellegence and an upstanding attitude. I did not seek you and I propose if you can't be decent and in order in your responses, you should keep your mouth shut. If I had gotten this information from Lana or anyone with some sense of respect, it would be appreciated. I suggest that you do not respond to anything I have posted. I will not respond to anything else you have to say, so keep your arrogance to yourself. Thank you!
Islander - I have to say that I agree. The majority of people who post messages on this forum are looking for genuine advice and help. Unfortunatly there are some people that think we are interested in their sarcasum and arrogance.
For what it is worth I do not think that you will have a problem. According to my attorney the reason that they ask for the Affidavit of Support to be brought along at interview is that many people have waited many many months if not years to get to interview stage so if they had submitted the Affidavit at the onset then it could well be out of date by the time they have their interview.
I only waited 3 months before I got my interview so the Affidavit in my case was still very much up to date. The interviewer did however ask for 2004 tax return in addition to the 3 years aleady submitted as another end of tax year had passed in the 3 months since submitting.

Good luck for the future

evcalyptos

islander said:
Fammic,
The instructions for Adjustment of Status DO call for the Affidavit of Support and medical to be included.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm
Hopefully you included an I-130 as well? How did you come to be adjusting in the US, from a K-1?

A bit harsh ot ole fammic.

At any rate, you need to be following up on your local office's timelines to see how long they are taking for AOS in your area. This information is available at uscis.gov

islander

Thank you

Hi Evcalyptos,
Thank you for your help. I got intouch with the USCIS and they advised me that I can either send the medical and Affidavit of support within 84 days after I sent my application or take it with me to the interview. And yes I did include my copy of I-130. To answer your first question I had my visitors visa, got married and and my husband did not want me to go back home when I came to visit him here so we filed the necessary papers.

Once again thank you very much for your helpful response. Have a good day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">