• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Long Does It Take to Transfer from H1 to H4

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bone275

I am currently on H1 visa and I am thinking to quit my job. My husband is on H1 visa so I am transferring from H1 to H4. I am thinking to give my employer a 2 weeks notice but I do not know how long it will take to get the H4 Visa application approved.

I am kind of in a dilemma because I know that I have to leave the job immediately after I receive the H4 approval. However, I do not know how long it will take so I can't really give my employer the notice. Does anyone know the estimate timeline? I have received an email notification this morning from USCIS saying that they will send me an official notification.

Any opinions would be very helpful, thank you!

ImmigAttyLana

It may take 3-5 months for the change of status. you do NOT need to leave the employer right away. You can leave the employer at any point while the application is pending. As long as you are in valid H-1B status at the time you submit your change of status to H-4 application, you will be fine.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">