• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I-134

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdg7635

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My mother-in-law from Brazil was denied a tourist visa to visit us in the United States about 6 months ago, but my wife has just received her Green Card and now we would like to re-apply for her mom. Would it help if I filed an I-134 as a son-in-law?

We really want her to come meet my whole family but are not sure what the best approach is.

Thanks.

ImmigAttyLana

The important thing to understand is WHY she was denied. It was likely because she was not able to establish her strong ties to Brazil that would ensure her return there after the visit to the US. If anything, your wife becoming a LPR really does not help but shows a stronger tie and desire and intention to be in the US rather than returning to Brazil. You can certainly submit the I-134 but that in itself does not guarantee a grant of the visitor's visa. The important thing is for her to gather as much supporting documentation as possible to show that she has substantial ties to the home country and has no intention of immigrating to the US. That's really the only way to improve her chances of getting the visitor's visa.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

mdg7635

Thank you for your reply. My wife has two sisters and a step sister, all with families, still in brazil. Her mom also owns a 3 apartment building in Brazil. Are these the kinds of things showing strong ties to brazil? and if so, what kinds of documents can she bring to show proof of these things? Unfortuatly, she is retired so there will be no job ties.

Also, are there minimum standards/requirements for me when filing an I-134? I own a house but still have a large mortgage... I'm not very liquid at this point and my concern is that they may be looking for a certain dollar amount of liquid assets. Is that accurate?

Thanks again,

Marco

ImmigAttyLana

Yes, those are exactly the types of things that she should document to show her ties to Brazil.

As for the I-134 requirements, it is looking at your income and/or your assets (bank accounts, investment portfolios, properties, etc)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">