• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I-485 abandoned because no AP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shalita

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

My husband's lawyer submitted his I-485 the day after we left on our honeymoon to mexico. Our lawyer told us we could go on honeymoon without filling for AP as long as we returned before we received our I-797 back from immigration, informing us our application was being processed. He re-entered the country using his F-1 visa with no issues at the time. We went to our interview and five minutes in told the officer our last entry date was Aug 6th which was different from our I-485, because of our honeymoon. They received our application on the 2nd. He told us we would have to re file and that our I-485 was abandoned. I realize we got bad legal advice, now I'm just wondering our options. This same lawyer has said we should 'reopen' not reapply. Is reopening even an option and would it be faster than just reapplying? I will not work thru this lawyer, just wondering what the best option is.
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">