• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I-485 denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

czechmate74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Came to US in 1999 (B2) overstayed - got married to us citizen - applied for i-485 etc - went to interview - marriage approved - answered YES to question whether ever claimed to be US Citizen (on I-9 checked the box) - officer said he will try to find waiver - recieved denial letter based on claiming US Citizenship - what can i do? Do I have a chance? Thank You.

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Came to US in 1999 (B2) overstayed - got married to us citizen - applied for i-485 etc - went to interview - marriage approved - answered YES to question whether ever claimed to be US Citizen (on I-9 checked the box) - officer said he will try to find waiver - recieved denial letter based on claiming US Citizenship - what can i do? Do I have a chance? Thank You.
You really need to run this past an attorney that you can give all the details to.

However, let's start with ... under what circumstances did you claim to be a US citizen? By the way, this is HUGE....

czechmate74

I answered question (during interview) if I had ever claimed it - "well, just to get a job." then he stopped me a wanted me to elaborate. They didn't have my old I-9 form from my employer, I just said it... (I was told by a friend who went through his interview to be honest, because they know everything...)

I really don't know what to do (trying to find a lawyer with a lot of experince with appeals)

czechmate74

BTW, I didn't claim any benefits or anything. I had a SSN but no other documents so I just selected option (on I-9) "Citizen or Nationals of US".

That was my only chance to get a job at the time. I knew it was wrong but I didn't think it was going to cost me in the future....

ImmigAttyLana

This is EXTREMELY serious!!! How do you think you did not get any benefits from claiming US citizenship if you say that was the only way to get a job?! That WAS the benefit you derived and it was through fraudulent misrepresentation. False claim to US citizenship makes you permanently inadmissible! NO WAIVER IS AVAILABLE unfortunately. There is really nothing to appeal as far as I can see since you answered the questions honestly and the honest answer results in your inadmissibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">