• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I-485 FBI Background Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

douglaszarate

I 'm a US Citizen, My wife is from Mexico, I married my wife in February ,2004 and began the I-485 paperwork. By March ,2005 my wife had her fingerprints done and her final appointment by USCIS.USCIS told me that the only item left was her background check by the FBI.That was March,2005 and when I call USCIS they tell me that the case is pending.I have called the FBI and they tell me that in some cases it takes up to 2 years or even longer if the indiviual has a common last name.Example (SOTO).Can someone help me here to speed up the processing or do I wait it out.Or hire a Immigration Attorney?

SHORTY LONG

Certainly it is always better to hire an Attorney in Immigration cases!
You do have the right to call (with much patience) and to speak with
an Immigration Officer. Just make sure you have all your documentation
in front of you; and a list of questions ready to ask him or her.

evcalyptos

I 'm a US Citizen, My wife is from Mexico, I married my wife in February ,2004 and began the I-485 paperwork. By March ,2005 my wife had her fingerprints done and her final appointment by USCIS.USCIS told me that the only item left was her background check by the FBI.That was March,2005 and when I call USCIS they tell me that the case is pending.I have called the FBI and they tell me that in some cases it takes up to 2 years or even longer if the indiviual has a common last name.Example (SOTO).Can someone help me here to speed up the processing or do I wait it out.Or hire a Immigration Attorney?
An attorney can not help the namechecks complete any faster. Soem people do get stuck, just as you have, for the better part of years.

What you CAN do now, and might want to start investigating, is a Writ of Mandamus. this is the nuclear option, and forces the gov't to make a decision on your case, so make sure you understand ALL the implications of this action.
You may decide that you're happier to keep waiting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">