• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I-485 question - Please advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toppito

What is the name of your state? Florida

After filing I-485 for my foreign wife who came with K-1 visa we received a request for tax return, 1099s and W-2s...even though I submitted my 2006 tax return with I-485 application...I read that I had to submit 3 years of tax returns even though the application only requested 1 tax return for the most recent year...I sent the 3 years of tax returns, 1099s and W-2s...now I was wondering if there's any way to confirm that USCIS is happy with what I sent them or if I have to send them something else.

Last edited:

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? Florida

After filing I-485 for my foreign wife who came with K-1 visa we received a request for tax return, 1099s and W-2s...even though I submitted my 2006 tax return with I-485 application...I read that I had to submit 3 years of tax returns even though the application only requested 1 tax return for the most recent year...I sent the 3 years of tax returns, 1099s and W-2s...now I was wondering if there's any way to confirm that USCIS is happy with what I sent them or if I have to send them something else.
You will know they are happy when you get the approval after your interview (or without one, depending on your luck of the draw).

This is a common request from them, even when you've complied with the rules. Future filers can send their (free) tax return transcripts, available from mthe IRS, to have a better shot at avoiding this Request for Evidence.

toppito

Question

You will know they are happy when you get the approval after your interview (or without one, depending on your luck of the draw).

This is a common request from them, even when you've complied with the rules. Future filers can send their (free) tax return transcripts, available from mthe IRS, to have a better shot at avoiding this Request for Evidence.
Would you happen to know if they send an acknowledgement letter stating that they have received everything and will continue to process the application?

What usually happens after an applicant sends the required tax documents?

ImmigAttyLana

They do not send any acknowledgement of receipt. If you had sent it through FedEx or UPS or some other trackable service, then you can see whether they have received the documentation you had submitted. Usually, there is no problem with them receiving the response to RFE. You will be getting the interview notification with the local USCIS office in the near future and then you will be interviewed with your wife at that time. This is where the bona fide nature of your marriage will be detemrine, and if all is well, your wife will be granted permanent resident status.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">