• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a relative I want to sponsor but...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ry1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Federal / (location CA)

Thank you for reading about my situation. I have a close relative, my aunt, my father's sister, who was more of a mother to me than my biological mom all my life long. Now she is in her 80's and unable to function without help. She is here with me on tourist visa but immigration is making a problem about her situation, every time we need to visit the homeland. I am a naturalized US citizen for more than 5 years now by the way.

I considered hiring help for her back at home, but there are many horror stories about the help robbing the elderly, harming them and in some extreme cases murdering them. Her income back at home is not enough to afford a assisted care facility who will take care of her needs as these places are very few and far between there, unlike USofA. Even with the help that I can spare from my income, such a place is out of reach for her. Last time we were over there on the other side of Atlantic, we have heard a neighbor, another elderly person, not as old as her, but living alone about 100 yards away from our place, been forcefully broken into her house by a pretend utility worker and robbed as well as being beaten pretty badly.

The situation is making me very uncomfortable and under no circumstance I am willing to leave her back at home. But here, in the US, I want her to stay legally, not as a illegal alien, though, with her extremely limited mobility, it will pretty darn impossible for ICE to know here presence. Yet I want everything to be by the book.

Is there a special hardship clause that I can use to sponsor her, knowing that I can not sponsor her as a parent (although I feel like I should be able to as she was my mother since I was 11 years old when my biological mom left us for good).

Thank you for your input.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Federal / (location CA)

Thank you for reading about my situation. I have a close relative, my aunt, my father's sister, who was more of a mother to me than my biological mom all my life long. Now she is in her 80's and unable to function without help. She is here with me on tourist visa but immigration is making a problem about her situation, every time we need to visit the homeland. I am a naturalized US citizen for more than 5 years now by the way.

I considered hiring help for her back at home, but there are many horror stories about the help robbing the elderly, harming them and in some extreme cases murdering them. Her income back at home is not enough to afford a assisted care facility who will take care of her needs as these places are very few and far between there, unlike USofA. Even with the help that I can spare from my income, such a place is out of reach for her. Last time we were over there on the other side of Atlantic, we have heard a neighbor, another elderly person, not as old as her, but living alone about 100 yards away from our place, been forcefully broken into her house by a pretend utility worker and robbed as well as being beaten pretty badly.

The situation is making me very uncomfortable and under no circumstance I am willing to leave her back at home. But here, in the US, I want her to stay legally, not as a illegal alien, though, with her extremely limited mobility, it will pretty darn impossible for ICE to know here presence. Yet I want everything to be by the book.

Is there a special hardship clause that I can use to sponsor her, knowing that I can not sponsor her as a parent (although I feel like I should be able to as she was my mother since I was 11 years old when my biological mom left us for good).

Thank you for your input.

I cannot see any way you can sponsor your Aunt, unfortunately.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1306.html#1

ry1

Thank you for your answer. And yes I have seen the page you linked. I was wondering if she, on her own, can apply for permanent residency in the US showing me as her support/sponsor ? For a completely able person, I know this is not an option. But considering her frail and helpless situation, I was wondering if there can be any exceptions ? Or any such sample cases that I can use ? I am ready to sign an affidavit saying that she will not apply for welfare and I will take care of her every need.

Proserpina

Thank you for your answer. And yes I have seen the page you linked. I was wondering if she, on her own, can apply for permanent residency in the US showing me as her support/sponsor ? For a completely able person, I know this is not an option. But considering her frail and helpless situation, I was wondering if there can be any exceptions ? Or any such sample cases that I can use ? I am ready to sign an affidavit saying that she will not apply for welfare and I will take care of her every need.

Unfortunately not - she has no standing (basis) for applying for residency. You can speak to an immigration attorney in your area (which is what I recommend you do - many will give you an initial consultation for free), but the fact that she is very frail won't help at all.

ry1

Thank you.
I will try to find an immigration attorney, specializing in other than run off the mill cases.
Meanwhile, if anyone who reads this post, knowing anything even remotely similar to my case, i.e. an exception to the rules on whatever basis, please respond to this post and I will be in your debt.
Thanks in advance

Proserpina

Thank you.
I will try to find an immigration attorney, specializing in other than run off the mill cases.
Meanwhile, if anyone who reads this post, knowing anything even remotely similar to my case, i.e. an exception to the rules on whatever basis, please respond to this post and I will be in your debt.
Thanks in advance

I'm going to keep trying to find info for you.

I obviously cannot promise anything, and I'm confident with my previous responses, but I'll look anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">