• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ma82rit

What is the name of your state? CA
My name is Teresa. I migrated from Mexico to the U.S back in 1989. I am 25 years old now. I graduated from Cal State Long Beach with my B.A in Liberal Studies. However I am not a resident which prevents me from pursuing my career in the field of education with children. I do have a job now, and pay my taxes. My father submitted an application known as l130 more than 10 years ago. On November 96 the case was approved but we have not heard anything else.

I have called quite a few immigration offices and their advice is to get married. Could you please advise me how I can become a resident on my own?

ImmigAttyLana

You cannot do anything on your own if you entered the US unlawfully. YOu will need to wait for the priority date on your father's petition on your behalf to become current in order for you to be able to legalize your status in the US. You should review the latest visa bulletin to see the approximate timelines for the priority date to become current.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

SHORTY LONG

You cannot do anything on your own if you entered the US unlawfully. YOu will need to wait for the priority date on your father's petition on your behalf to become current in order for you to be able to legalize your status in the US. You should review the latest visa bulletin to see the approximate timelines for the priority date to become current.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Hello Lana! I am curious on your reply to the poster: The poster stated that
an application was submitted more than 10 years ago, and in 96 it was approved;
and the poster has called and called only to be told to get married.

Lastly, I am all for anyone to get an Education, but how do illegals' get a College
Education without at least falsifying his or hers personal information required for
College Admissions. And, he or she must be very determined in seeking their
Degrees because of the paranoia that would exist. Thus, to me would truly effect
taking tests and ones overall GPA. Similarly, it did when my Dad passed away when
I was attending College at that time.!

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully Yours,
Shorty

SHORTY LONG

You'd be amazed at what illegals get away with doing in the US.
Thanks AHA. Yes, I am seeing more and more. In one hand I do not condom
any who seek a higher Education, but at the same time, and on the other hand;
what good would it be in obtaining a bona fide College degree, when it would be
ill-begotten, and unlawful in the first instance?

ImmigAttyLana

Having a petition approved 10 years ago does not mean anything unless the priority date is current to enable that person to go on to the next step in the immigration process on the basis of the approved petition. For many nationals, family based petition categories are heavily backlogged and it is not uncommon to see such delays.

SHORTY LONG

Having a petition approved 10 years ago does not mean anything unless the priority date is current to enable that person to go on to the next step in the immigration process on the basis of the approved petition. For many nationals, family based petition categories are heavily backlogged and it is not uncommon to see such delays.
Thank You for educating me on this. Just amazing! And to be told to get married!
I do hope that someday, we will all be able to live together in peace. Additionally,
I do hope that, somehow someway an efficient overhaul housecleaning will be had
in the Immigration department of our Federal Government.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">