• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I should arrange an attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZolaR-LoS

What is the name of your state? Denial

I am a US citz with a French wife of 1 year. We have lived in Ireland for the past year and are now thinking of going to the US.
I do not think I fullfill the requirements of an I-186 as I do not live in the states, nor do I have any Idea what state to live in.

As I said, I think I need to arrange an attorney first.

ZolaR-LoS

"Respectfully", heh. I love how civilized forums are becoming. Or maybe its just now becoming a medium for civilized people. hmm. But I meander...

Actually I was looking for more of a shotgun spray of advice, a jumping in point. I am not even sure of what questions to ask. How bout, "How do I get a Visa for my wife if I am not a current US resident?", "If I do not reside in one specific state and am not certain which state I wish to reside in, what state do I find a suitable attorney in?"

And out of curiosity, no real base in this one, "I-186 is used to establish suportability. Have there been any 'sexist' rulings for or against?"

ImmigAttyLana

Any immigration attorney anywhere in the US can assist you with immigration issues since US immigration law is a federal practice. I often assist clients in situations similar to yours who reside abroad. Secondly, you need to know what you are asking because on the forum you mention forms that do not even exist. There is no such thing as I-186.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

ZolaR-LoS

And the true forum relaxation unveils itself....

Okay, so how about the I-486?
and....
what kind of lawer fees would I be looking at? (considering a simple case between an EU (French) national an US born citzen)

Additionally, it has been decided that Nevada (Las Vegas) would be the preffered local, and due to the large catering industry (my spouse and I's field) I fel that our relocation there will be wnabled more freely. responses?

ImmigAttyLana

First of all, that is I-485 and not I-486 and secondly, that is NOT the appropriate process for someone who is still abroad. That is only for those foreign nationals who are applying for permanent residence within the US. For your spouse, it would have to be consular processing at the US Consulate abroad.

As for where you choose to relocate in the US, that is completely up to you and does not affect the immigration process in any way.

As for the costs associated with the process, I can only give you my own fees and I cannot speak about any other attorney.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHORTY LONG

Spelling Error; Sorry!

And the true forum relaxation unveils itself....

Okay, so how about the I-486?
and....
what kind of lawer fees would I be looking at? (considering a simple case between an EU (French) national an US born citzen)

Additionally, it has been decided that Nevada (Las Vegas) would be the preffered local, and due to the large catering industry (my spouse and I's field) I fel that our relocation there will be wnabled more freely. responses?
Frenchy, do you have a chip on your shoulder or a deep seeded grudge against the United States?
For, we try our best to be professionals with respect, and courtesy; so, i am a bit
taken-back by your [misplaced accusation] "And the true forum relaxation unveils itself...."

Count your blessings, and lucky stars that, you are being provided with FreeAdvice
from an Attorney who not only specializes in Immigration Law, but, gives much of
her time here freely in helping those who truly need "FreeAdvice!" Moreover,
AttorneyLana has answered more of your questions [FREE], just in case your jaundice
has clouded your reading!

What you will not find, is that, I, nor anyone else will hold your hand nor kiss your ass!!!!:mad:

Last edited:

evcalyptos

"Respectfully", heh. I love how civilized forums are becoming. Or maybe its just now becoming a medium for civilized people. hmm. But I meander...

Actually I was looking for more of a shotgun spray of advice, a jumping in point. I am not even sure of what questions to ask. How bout, "How do I get a Visa for my wife if I am not a current US resident?", "If I do not reside in one specific state and am not certain which state I wish to reside in, what state do I find a suitable attorney in?"

And out of curiosity, no real base in this one, "I-186 is used to establish suportability. Have there been any 'sexist' rulings for or against?"
lol, did you know that 'meander' is a Greek word? :)

Here's your shotgun spray: http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824
You don't have to have a 'residence' in the US. However, you must establilsh or re-establish 'domicile' in the US to qualify as her financial sponsor for the Affidavit of Support I-864. This is not a difficult thing to do, and there is information in the linked article discussing how you do it.

You don't 'get' your wife a visa, btw. You petition her (I-130) and when that is approved, she applies for a visa. You'll do this all through your local Consulate; their webpage will have instructions specific to them.
Plan on about 5 months to complete this (perhaps less if filing in Dublin vs London, check which office you use) and will cost a little over $1100US. There will be a medical exam, police reports ordered and you'll need originals of your birth certificates, marriage certificate, some passport photos (US specific size) etc.
The I-864 is the most complex of the forms, but if you have sufficient assets, you don't need a US job beforehand (getting one doesn't hurt of course). Your current foreign income can't be used to sponsor her immigration unless it will continue when you are in the US.

Get reading :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">