• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I9 form for immigrants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cat2016

What is the penalty of choosing wrong box in I9 form.

I understand that claiming to be a American citizen can ruin your chances for green card, but what about if you put permanent residence?

OHRoadwarrior

A permanent ban from the US and from US citizenship if you are caught lying and claiming citizenship or legal status to obtain employment benefit and USCIS elects to prosecute the matter. If you did it to obtain illegal employment, you may have a serious problem and will likely be caught. It is not an accident to lie as it requires you enter your Alien Registration Number (A-Number) or USCIS Number also.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Hiring a lawyer would help if you are prosecuted, not much though. At best, do not show up for work and you have not profited from the fraud.

OHRoadwarrior

You have not suggested anything to indicate you qualify for legal residence. I was referring to if you were prosecuted for fraud by taking the job/actually starting work you lied on the form for, if you are not legally permitted to work in the US. When facing criminal charges it is usually best to be represented by legal council.

Cat2016

You've given us no real facts to work with so the only answer is "maybe".

(Unless you want to be a bit clearer about your situation)
I got married, so me and my husband want to start my paperwork. So we can visit my parents. I came with J1 visa in 2011 and after change my status on tourist visa. We got married in 2014, but I worked before on tourist visa. Do I have any little chances to get approved with my case or not?

Cat2016

I got married, so me and my husband want to start my paperwork. So we can visit my parents. I came with J1 visa in 2011 and after change my status on tourist visa. We got married in 2014, but I worked before on tourist visa. Do I have any little chances to get approved with my case or not?

OHRoadwarrior

If your husband is a US citizen, he can file for waivers to your inadmissibility if they deny you based on these issues. It is not considered ethical for anyone to advise you to lie on your application. I can only suggest you obtain a lawyer specializing in immigration to assist in paperwork preparation and to have on board to respond to any denial appeals to your I-130 that might be raised. This will provide the smoothest course in your attempt to obtain citizenship. Do not leave the country while this process is being worked through as you can incur a ban and other issues which will increase the chances for deniability of waivers.

Cat2016

If your husband is a US citizen, he can file for waivers to your inadmissibility if they deny you based on these issues. It is not considered ethical for anyone to advise you to lie on your application. I can only suggest you obtain a lawyer specializing in immigration to assist in paperwork preparation and to have on board to respond to any denial appeals to your I-130 that might be raised. This will provide the smoothest course in your attempt to obtain citizenship. Do not leave the country while this process is being worked through as you can incur a ban and other issues which will increase the chances for deniability of waivers.
Thank you for your answer.My husband and I decide that , honesty is the best policy, so we hire a lawyer and we explain our situation to her. So hopefully everything will be smooth. We was thinking to apply for travel document but by reading allot about this type of cases I will not gonna do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">