• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I marry again, will my ex-wife lose her Green Card?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chariyapk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hi all ;) ,

I applied for DV lottery while ago and I had to enter spouse details. As the time goes on we both decided to separate and while the case filed in court I got DV lottery result and we both able to get the visa. Then we got divorce from Sri Lanka, and we both came USA separately. She has DV2 and I have DV1 green card. I want to get marry a lady in Sri Lanka again and my questions are,

1).Will my previous wife loos her visa if I marry again and apply visa for new wife?
2).Do I have to file divorce case in USA?
3). Or will my new wife receive her greencard after having usual visa process and my previous wife wont have any issue with it?

I will greatfull for anyone who answers me.

FlyingRon

I suspect it might be best if your first wife consults an immigration attorney as there are some details missing here. However a DV2 status on a green card makes her a derivative status rather than conditional so she's probably OK. You both need to get copies of your Sri Lankan divorce decree. You don't need a US divorce, but you will need to be able to show you were properly divorced there.

Your new wife needs to go through the normal visa process. You may wish to consult an immigration attorney on bringing her over.

chariyapk

Thank you FlyingRon for your reply.

What kind of details are missing here? I can provide any.

So if a person have DV visa(Green card),does it means he/she wont loos it because of he/she divorced from the lottery winner?
My friend told me that if someone get the green card, it doesn't matter whether he or she won the lottery or not. Its him/her self is the owner of that visa.no one can change it unless her misbehavior.

that would be the only thing I wanted to know because I don't want her to loos her visa.

I have asked our lawyers to send case copies. and will consult an immigration attorney ASAP.

thank you again.

chariyapk

if someone get the green card, can anybody change it?

So if a person have DV visa(Green card),does it means he/she wont loos it because of he/she divorced from the lottery winner?
My friend told me that if someone get the green card, it doesn't matter whether he or she won the lottery or not. Its him/her self is the owner of that visa.no one can change it unless her misbehavior.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">