• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Immigrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

witty username

What is the name of your state? MA
I found this forum for another reason, but realized what good advice I can get. I have a few questions. My niece began dating a young man who came over to the US from South America several years ago (on a student visa I believe). That has since ran out and he has been working in a restaurant ever since. My niece has married this young man (he just needed to show his international drivers license) and they are now expecting a baby. She told me that his attorney told them to get married so he could remain in the US :confused: . From what she tells me, he does not have a SSN (I have no idea how his employer pays him - as it is a will known restaurant), the apartment they rent is in her name only, and she has applied for public housing (awaiting a space). I feel that she has gotten herself into a mess by marrying him, but who am I to say anything. I guess my questions are: Is it an "automatic" that he will be allowed to stay just because they are married and expecting a child? Can his illegal status prevent her from moving into public housing (he would be moving there with her, I assume they would want his information too). Just how bad of a situation can this be, if any? I appoligize for the length of this, and appreciate any information.What is the name of your state?

ImmigAttyLana

Nothing is automatic just because he got married and they are expecting a child. However, as long as he entered the US lawfully, is now married to a US citizen and the marriage is bona fide and they file all the appropriate paperwork with the USCIS (they also need to show that she or she with a co-sponsor have the ability to provide for support of him through income and/or assets). He should then be eligible for adjustment of status to permanent residence. Their attorney SHOULD be giving them all this information!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">