• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal immigrant - we wish to marry - can he stay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gocards1016

Florida.
I have met someone whom I have fallen in love with and we wish to marry. The problem is he is from Costa Rica and he entered the U.S. illegally several years ago, after he returned from his 2nd visit to the U.S. 2 months past his VISA allowed (it was a 6 month VISA and he returned to Costa Rica after 8 months and was told he would not be allowed to apply for another VISA). He then entered the U.S. illegally (via Mexico) and has been self employed for 6 years and has supported himself financially since. He has not had any issues with the law what-so-ever.
I am a single mother, I have a 10 year career in the U.S. with the same company, and a home. It would be a financial hardship for me to consider leaving the country to live in Costa Rica.
We would like to know what options, if any, we would have for us to Marry and for him to stay in the U.S. and what would we need to do in order to make sure we go about this the correct way?

evcalyptos

Florida.
I have met someone whom I have fallen in love with and we wish to marry. The problem is he is from Costa Rica and he entered the U.S. illegally several years ago, after he returned from his 2nd visit to the U.S. 2 months past his VISA allowed (it was a 6 month VISA and he returned to Costa Rica after 8 months and was told he would not be allowed to apply for another VISA). He then entered the U.S. illegally (via Mexico) and has been self employed for 6 years and has supported himself financially since. He has not had any issues with the law what-so-ever.
I am a single mother, I have a 10 year career in the U.S. with the same company, and a home. It would be a financial hardship for me to consider leaving the country to live in Costa Rica.
We would like to know what options, if any, we would have for us to Marry and for him to stay in the U.S. and what would we need to do in order to make sure we go about this the correct way?
There is a way, but it will be long, and expensive.
You will have to petition him first.
When the petition is approved, he will have to leave the US and go to a visa interview in Costa Rica. He will be denied the visa, and will have to file an I-601 waiver. This will have to include a detailed hardship letter from you showing why it is impossible for you to relocate to CR.

This is a specialized process, and there is a specialzed discussion group for it at www.immigrate2us.net in the I-601 forum

good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">