• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Parents, Legal Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AHA

This may be hard to believe. But the parents made a bank account under the son's name, and there is a substantial sum of money in it.

So yes, he can pay for himself for the next 2 years.
And, what would happen to all the money his parents made here, and their store? Would the governement seize it?
Because if the government does Seize it, then its the same whether or not he's supporting himself or if his parents are suporting him.
Because if the government does seize it, then the parents will have no source of income either.

But say that the son has no money, even then, he can't be placed under care of foster family so they could support him for the time being. He's gonna be 17 in april, so it won't even be 2 years, more like 1 year 4 months.
Then he is not self supportive, he is living off of his parent's money, which is the complete opposite for qualifying for emancipation.

rebirthofham

the money is under his name, soley under his name. Not his parents name or anyone elses. So isn't that his money, not his parents money. And it being an American Account, his parents cannot access it.

So basically what you're saying is that there is basically no way that the son can stay in America to better his future. So he is screwed (for lack of a better term) and has no option to continue an American education.

sad.

AHA

the money is under his name, soley under his name. Not his parents name or anyone elses. So isn't that his money, not his parents money. And it being an American Account, his parents cannot access it.

So basically what you're saying is that there is basically no way that the son can stay in America to better his future. So he is screwed (for lack of a better term) and has no option to continue an American education.

sad.
He was still GIVEN the money.

You're exaggerating (sp), he can come back when he is of legal US adult age and can support himself.

rebirthofham

what does it matter if he was given the money. Its his money now. That i dont' understand your point in.

And its not an exaggeration. Think about you being transported off to China at age 16 and being forced to integrate within society there and going to school and not doing as well as you could have in an american school. He's gonna be going to a country which he knows very little about, and does not speak any of their language. If that's not hard, i don't know what is.

AHA

what does it matter if he was given the money. Its his money now. That i dont' understand your point in.

And its not an exaggeration. Think about you being transported off to China at age 16 and being forced to integrate within society there and going to school and not doing as well as you could have in an american school. He's gonna be going to a country which he knows very little about, and does not speak any of their language. If that's not hard, i don't know what is.

That money doesn't change the fact that he has no own income, and that's one of the major things he would have to have in order for emancipation.

No one is saying that he has to forcefully spend the rest of his life outside of the US, like I and others have said more than once, he can come back when he is of legal US adult age.
THAT'S what you are exaggerating about. It's a few years, not a lifetime. Besides, this might be his only chance to get to know his heritage and his other language. It's not the end of the world. There will still be schools in the US when he becomes of legal adult age and can continue his US eduaction, I can promise you. I'm sure there are even american schools in China, other americans live there with their kids, you know.

justalayman

Part of the problem here is there is no emancipation statutes in New York. Although it is possible to become emancipated, it seems parental allowance is somewhat reuquired.

What a conundrum.

Sounds like the kid needs to use the money to pay for the expensive private school.

Although it does not provide a legal remedy, writing to the states governor, the federal congressman and the president often provides some publicity that pushes the government to do things not specifically legally allowed. Kind of the humanitarian approach.

One thing you have not spoken of is any time line for the actual deportation. It can take years to complete deportation sometimes. (don;t take this as a big ray of sunshine because it can take nearly no time as well).

Due to the business situation and the possible ownership of property here, they may be able to stall the deport to allow the selling of assets before deportation.

The parents should be dealing with an immigration attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">