• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal returning home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikki02

What is the name of your state? NY

My partner entered the US legally 14 years ago, but did not return to his home country when his visa expired.

We now want to leave the US and return to his country. What can we expect to happen when we pass through the airport/passport control if we simply book flights to leave?

I'm aware that this will have an effect on him obtaining a visa in the future, but to what extent? I have friends and family in europe who we would both like to visit in the not too distant future.

Thanks in advance

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? NY

My partner entered the US legally 14 years ago, but did not return to his home country when his visa expired.

We now want to leave the US and return to his country. What can we expect to happen when we pass through the airport/passport control if we simply book flights to leave?

I'm aware that this will have an effect on him obtaining a visa in the future, but to what extent? I have friends and family in europe who we would both like to visit in the not too distant future.

Thanks in advance

Save your boarding passes and proof of leaving the US (for him). Credit card receipts and similar documentary evidence outside the US will help show when he left.

Maintain your US domicile in part by filing your tax returns annually, keeping US banking ties, voting etc.
Study up on Direct Consular Filing/DCF or 'filing an immigrant visa petition' with your local Consulate/Embassy for when you want to return, and study up on waivers for his overstay.

Keep sufficient assets, or US income, or have a Joint Sponsor prepared who is a US citizen or PR to financially sponsor him when you eventually want to move back.

Don't plan on having him come through the US to transit to Europe.

There is no passport control on the way out of the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">