• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ImmigAttyLana please give me some advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

farasi

What is the name of your state?mo
Hi
I have posted this question on the forum twice but no one seems to respond . ImmigAttyLana i have noticed that you give advice on most of the cases . I hope you can assist me on this one.
Here is my case: I am a student on F1 visa. My fiancee is a crew member in a cruise ship and has a C1/D visa which is valid till year 2010. We have an 8 months old son who is a US citizen . My fiancee's vacation is coming up and he would like to spend it with me and our son in the US .Unfortunately the last time he tried to come visit us he was denied a visitor's visa by the american consulate in our country. Is there a way he can use his C1/D visa to stay in the US during his vacation?How long can he stay ? He has no intention of coming to work on land he just wants to spend his 7 weeks vacation with us then go back to work on the ship. Please help.

dmtils

What is the name of your state?mo
Hi
I have posted this question on the forum twice but no one seems to respond . ImmigAttyLana i have noticed that you give advice on most of the cases . I hope you can assist me on this one.

Here is my case: I am a student on F1 visa. My fiancee is a crew member in a cruise ship and has a C1/D visa which is valid till year 2010. We have an 8 months old son who is a US citizen . My fiancee's vacation is coming up and he would like to spend it with me and our son in the US .Unfortunately the last time he tried to come visit us he was denied a visitor's visa by the american consulate in our country. Is there a way he can use his C1/D visa to stay in the US during his vacation?How long can he stay ? He has no intention of coming to work on land he just wants to spend his 7 weeks vacation with us then go back to work on the ship. Please help.
I say this a lot, but you are in a tricky spot, and really should consult an immigration attorney. I was an F-1 myself before marrying an American, and I recently worked as an immigration paralegal for two years, but yours is not a question that can be answered here, by me at least. The type of visa your fiance has is quite specialized.

I know as a student money can be very very tight, and while a "free consult" with an immigration attorney is often not the greatest thing, it should be better than nothing. If you can afford it, you should seek a consult with an Immigration Attorney. Find one who practices nothing but immigration, and make an appointment. They can be hard to find, but you should try.

Try and get one who is a member of AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association). I suggest trying http://www.ailalawyer.com/, and be sure to ask on the phone if the attorney has experience with C/D/F visas before hand. You are unlikely to speak with the attorney when you call, but you should get a good impression from the person that answers the phone - you may even wish to inquire if the person who answers is a paralegal, if they are, and they seem to understand your situation, inquire about the cost for a consult, and schedule one if possible.

Trust me, the person who answers the phone should know the attorney/firm they work for, and know what sort of cases they work often. If the person waffles when you give a brief description of the visa status of your self and your fiance, you may want to thank them for their time and just move on.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">