• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Immigration via sibling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York

I'm currently studying in the US on an F1 visa, just finished undergrad and I'm on OPT now. Gonna go to grad school next year. My uncle recently got naturalized a few years ago and is a US Citizen now. He wants to file for my father and I to live in the US. I've got two questions:

1. Can he file for both of us at the same time? Or does he have to file for my father and then my father has to file for me.

2. My father and I are citizens of Trinidad and Tobago. Does anyone know how long the wait will be for a visa number to become available? I know it depends on the country and the sibling relationship.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

SHORTY LONG

What is the name of your state? New York

I'm currently studying in the US on an F1 visa, just finished undergrad and I'm on OPT now. Gonna go to grad school next year. My uncle recently got naturalized a few years ago and is a US Citizen now. He wants to file for my father and I to live in the US. I've got two questions:

1. Can he file for both of us at the same time? Or does he have to file for my father and then my father has to file for me.

2. My father and I are citizens of Trinidad and Tobago. Does anyone know how long the wait will be for a visa number to become available? I know it depends on the country and the sibling relationship.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated.
Have you searched the Homeland Security US Government site for your answers?
Or even tried in calling them? http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

ImmigAttyLana

It's going to take about 12 years before your father can immigrate on the basis of his brother's petition on his behalf and you will NOT be eligible for a visa at that time since you will be over the age of 21. You would have to wait until your father becomes a US permanent resident (in 12 years) and then petitions for you as his son/daughter which will take another 4-6 years according to the current processing times. THis is not really a practical plan and I would suggest that you explore the employment-based immigration options which will be much more quick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">