• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

important question please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida

6 months ago we got my brother in law(who is 12) a student visa and have him here attending private school. We also petitioned for green cards for his mother and father and they were approved. When they come here we want to file for adjustment of status for there son so he can go to public school. I have had an attorney tell me we need to file I-130 and it will take between 18-24 months to change his status and I have also had an attorney tell me we have to file a I-485 and it will take between 3-6 months.

He also told me that we have to file a I-145 but I have no idea what that is. I might have misunderstood him

Can anyone please advise what is the best way to change his status and do you recomment hiring an attorney to do it or can I do it myself. The attorney wants $2500 which seems a bit high to me. I had always planned on retaining an attorney for this step but the cost seems kinda high. I am not sure if I am confident enough to do it myself tho.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

ImmigAttyLana

It's not really very clear what has been filed on whose behalf and by whom and what has been approved. Can you please clarify the family relationship between who filed the petition, and what has been approved and where those relatives reside currently (what country).

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">