• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect "Resident Since" Date on Green Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sammy0928

I received my conditional green card in January 2006 and the resident date is 01/06/06, which is correct.

90 days before my conditional card expired, I applied for removal of conditions. It was approved and I now have my new Permanent Resident Card. With my new green card is a document (I-797C) that has information as follows:

File Number: A********
Date of decision: 06/17/2008
Admission Date: 01/06/06
Classification: IR6

The letter asks me to make sure that all the information shown above is correct, which is all correct.

However, the "resident since" date on the card itself is 11/21/07, which is wrong. This date is actually the notice date of the receipt I received showing a 1 year extension on my conditional card while my I-90 was being processed. Obviously, this is incorrect.

I am eligible to file for Naturalization on October 2008. Should I worry about what's printed on the card, when the actual I-797 C information is all correct? I intend to apply for Naturalization in October 2008. It takes about a year to replace the card and I dont want my naturalization delayed for one year because of family waiting for my petitions. What should I do?

Thank you very much for your help.

evcalyptos

I received my conditional green card in January 2006 and the resident date is 01/06/06, which is correct.

90 days before my conditional card expired, I applied for removal of conditions. It was approved and I now have my new Permanent Resident Card. With my new green card is a document (I-797C) that has information as follows:

File Number: A********
Date of decision: 06/17/2008
Admission Date: 01/06/06
Classification: IR6

The letter asks me to make sure that all the information shown above is correct, which is all correct.

However, the "resident since" date on the card itself is 11/21/07, which is wrong. This date is actually the notice date of the receipt I received showing a 1 year extension on my conditional card while my I-90 was being processed. Obviously, this is incorrect.

I am eligible to file for Naturalization on October 2008. Should I worry about what's printed on the card, when the actual I-797 C information is all correct? I intend to apply for Naturalization in October 2008. It takes about a year to replace the card and I dont want my naturalization delayed for one year because of family waiting for my petitions. What should I do?

Thank you very much for your help.
I've read several accounts of this happening--annoying, isn't it?

If you have a photocopy of your original card, you can include a copy of that with your N-400. They know the correct date your status started.

Stories posted around have the same conclusion as you: it takes too long to apply for the replacement, and as long as all your other data is correct, you shouldn't have to replace the card.
This was the only thread I turned up in a quickie search..
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341479

I would stick with the plan you state here, but I am not a lawyer, that's just my gut response.

sammy0928

I've read several accounts of this happening--annoying, isn't it?

If you have a photocopy of your original card, you can include a copy of that with your N-400. They know the correct date your status started.

Stories posted around have the same conclusion as you: it takes too long to apply for the replacement, and as long as all your other data is correct, you shouldn't have to replace the card.
This was the only thread I turned up in a quickie search..
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341479

I would stick with the plan you state here, but I am not a lawyer, that's just my gut response.

Thank you for taking sometime and reply to my post. It is annoying. My first card went through the I-90 process as well and it took over a year to replace. I will proceed with my N-400 application in October. I have the original green card and other documentations to support my correct "resident since" date.

any other experiences?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">