• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent contract and W-9 form as a F-1 student affect permanent residency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JuanMiguel

If I work (as an F-1 student) on SSN that is DHS authorized only, and I work and get paid for, will that affect me getting permanent residency if I get married with a US citizen. I will get married in next two weeks.
Prior working I need to fill-out an independent contract and W-9 form.
I am graduating in May, but do not plan to do CPT or OPT because I should get a working permit 60-70 days after filling the papers and marriage.
Please help!

FlyingRon

This is NOT the "can I break the law now and get away with it later" forum. You are not allowed to work (outside of limited OPT, etc...) on an F1 visa. As pointed out, abusing a non-immigrant visa with immigrant intent will not bode well for you (nor will a sham marriage). You should definitely get legal advice before DOING ANYTHING you are contemplating doing.

JuanMiguel

I agree, but W-9 happened months ago, not that I plan to do it right now or in the future. What happens in that case?

FlyingRon

I agree, but W-9 happened months ago, not that I plan to do it right now or in the future. What happens in that case?
Any thing from nothing to you being deported with a lifetime bar on reentry to the US.

A W-9 doesn't GO anywhere other than to the person who requested it. However, if they then take that SSN that you provided and report income on it to the IRS when you're not supposed to be working, it may come back to bite you.

Why don't you just stop breaking the law. THen you won't have to worry all the time.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">