• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Info needed for Sponsor Options for my foreign husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rooscher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEVADA

I am a US Citizen, living abroad as a Temporary Resident with my South African husband in South Africa. We want to go to the US to live permanently, and he wants to become a US Citizen. Since I am living abroad, I was told by immigration lawyers that I need a Co-sponsor. What I can't seem to get from them is information about what options we have for sponsorship, ie, can we include HIS income? Can more than one person be a cosponsor? can someone join with my income? I dont know where to find this information...does anyone know?? I've already looked at ucsic website and I'm still confused!

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEVADA

I am a US Citizen, living abroad as a Temporary Resident with my South African husband in South Africa. We want to go to the US to live permanently, and he wants to become a US Citizen. Since I am living abroad, I was told by immigration lawyers that I need a Co-sponsor. What I can't seem to get from them is information about what options we have for sponsorship, ie, can we include HIS income? Can more than one person be a cosponsor? can someone join with my income? I dont know where to find this information...does anyone know?? I've already looked at ucsic website and I'm still confused!
Darn lawyers sometimes.

In order for your spouse to move to the US permanently, you must petition for him, he applies for a visa and you move to the US. He will be a Permanent Resident.
After living in the US for 3 years as a PR -and- married to a US citizen, he can apply for US citizenship IF he chooses. Please check for SA's regulations on dual citizenship (you've got time ;) ).

In order for him to get the visa, he needs to present form I-864 Affidavit of Support from you.
In that form, you must show that you have sufficient income to keep your spouse/immigrant from becoming a Public Charge. That is defined as you having income at/above 125% of the poverty guideline, or gross income of about $19000 a year. This income must continue in the US, so normally employment income from abroad doesn't work unless you'll telecommute.

If you do not have a US income, you may substitute assets. I used investment accounts, real estate etc to do this when we returned to the US.

If you do not have the income or assets, you may have a JOINT Sponsor. This is a US citizen or PR who does have the US income for his household plus your immigrant.
There is no such term as cosponsor in your type of case.

The best thing for you to do is go to the forms section of uscis.gov and download the I-864, I-864P and the instructions. Read them through several times because they are confusing and it's new information.

The most usual course of action for folks in your situation is to have a family member be the Joint Sponsor.
Since you've expressed an interest for him regarding citizenship, know that the obligations of the i-864 end when the immigrant naturalizes. The Sponsor/Joint Sponsor's commitment might be a few years, or forever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">