• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Travel under maiden name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilybud

What is the name of your state? CA

Hello. I got married and have taken my husband's name. My Driver's License and Social Security card have been updated to show my married name. So, now when I travel within the US, I've been using my married name.

However, my Green Card and Passport are still under my maiden name. I am not planning to apply for a Green Card replacement due to marriage 'coz I am filing the paperwork for US Citizenship and will get my married name on the Naturalization documents.

The question I have is, which name do I use for travelling outside the US?

I'm thinking since my Green Card and passport show my maiden name, it makes sense to use my maiden name? And book my air ticket under my maiden name to match my passport/GC? Would I have any problem re-entering the US under my maiden name?

My Green card doesn't expire until 2011. Are there any rules about getting a Green Card replaced to show married name? Or can I just file for the Naturalization paperwork and meanwhile use my maiden name for international travel?

Thanks in advance for all advice, appreciate it!

ImmigAttyLana

You don't need to change it on anything really. You can just travel with your marriage certificate to show the married name. However, if you want to make things very simple, just purchase the tickets in your name as it appears on your passport and green card (maiden name) so that it matches everywhere.

lilybud

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep things simple by booking my ticket under my maiden name :)

I have a follow-up question... My passport is actually going to expire end of January 2008. Are there any rules about requiring my passport to be valid for so many days entry to Canada?

I'm wondering if I might have to renew my passport under my maiden name just so I can travel to Canada for the holidays. I wasn't planning to renew my passport as I would be getting my US passport next year as soon as I become a US citizen.

Thanks!

ImmigAttyLana

I don't think that should be an issue. However, I would advise you to renew your passport since there is no guarantee that your citizenship application will not be stuck in security clearance checks and that might delay your ability to obtain a US passport.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

lilybud

If I renew my passport now, do I renew it under my maiden name? That way I can still travel outside of the US since the name on my passport should match the name on my Green Card, to keep things simple?

Otherwise, I'm afraid it could make things complicated if my Passport shows my married name, then my green card has my maiden name, and my ticket could be either married or maiden name. I'm confused already :confused:

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">