• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

J1 -> j1 -> h1b

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbredeva

Hello,

I am currently an intern on a J1 visa, but would like start working full time for the same company in the US.
By the end of October 2013 I will have finished one year of internship. One month later, by the end of November 2013 my visa expires. However I am not subject to the 2 year rule (212e).

Since I did not apply for H1B in April 2013 I won't be able to start as full time by the end of October 2013. Therefor I want to apply for another J1 visa and apply for H1B in April 2014.

Summary:
J1 from October 2012 - October 2013
J1 from October 2013 - October 2014
H1B starting from October 2014

My question:
- Should I be careful with this procedure? According to USCIS I can request a status change. However, the DS2019 form states that "I understand that it is my responsibility to maintain my exchange visitor status"
- Can I travel outside of the US (to my home country) after applying for H1B?

Thanks,

Gina

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">