• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

J1 Trainee Visa expires soon! HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JuliaWeber

GA, USA

The german company I work for here in GA got me a J1 visa in August 2004 for 18 months. This visa expires on january 31st 2006. They want to keep me here and get me a new visa. But my boss seems to be IMO not very well informed about what kind of visa they can get me fast that would make to be able to work here. I'm supposed to go back to my home country (Germany) on March 1st (after 30 day travel time that i want to take after the expiration of my visa) and wait their until I get my new visa. However, I have a life here and a boyfriend (who unfortunately doesnt' want to get married for visa purposes :() and I don't want to be away from here for too long. What are my options? My boss says she didn't want to apply for a new visa as long as this one didn't expire because it could get me in trouble with immigration? Is that true?
I'm confused... :confused:

First of all, usually J1 visas have a requirement that you need to go back to your country for 2 years, or your visa should state otherwise

JuliaWeber

GA
I am not a subject to the 2-year home residency requirement.

My boss wants to get an H1B visa for me but the next available are from october 2006. I was wondering: can I get a second J1 until I can get an H1B visa and if so, can my boss apply for a second J1 for me while I'm still in the US on my current J1 visa?
Thanks!

Honestly, I am not sure what can be done this fast. You are too late to apply for H1B work visas, employment-based green card will take much longer than 2 months that you have left

JuliaWeber

Thanks for your reply!
I read something about EB today - can my boss apply for that for me? I'm fine with going back to Germany in March, I just want to come back as soon as possible.

Thanks

JuliaWeber

one more thing: in general when one tries to change the status from J1 trainee visa to anything else (employment visa) is it better to apply for a new visa before the old one expires or after? if you apply while you are still on the old visa does it look suspicious or something?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">