• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just incase H2B doesn't follow through...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brenglen

What is the name of your state? MI

Hello once again,

I just found out that my Father is an American, I just recently found him and met him for the first time in my entire life. I was wondering if there's anyway that I can get him to sponser me for getting me a Green Card but im not sure if I want to go after him for sponsership because I don't trust him yet. But If I am able to do this, do I have to live with him? cause I was planning on living out on my own.

I also didn't know this but I heard that a "Step-Parent" is allowed to sponser their child, My Step-Dad is from the U.S. but my Mom is from Canada, they got married in the U.S. (when I was 16) but they had some problems and threats of divorce, my mom moved back to Canada (while the Green Card papers were being filed, by so they were canceled). Now, they are happly married and she moved back a couple years ago Illegally (she didn't have the money to re-file for green card) this past year she got caught at the border and was found living the U.S. illegally and is banned for 5 years. So heres my queston, My step-dad lives in the U.S. and I live in Canada with my mom, I want to move the U.S. Permently so I can go to School and go to work, I don't want to live with him cause im 18 years old and want to live with my friend's parent's house.

So in both matters, incase my Father doesn't want to sponser me, could my Step-Dad sponser me instead? because Im waiting for approval from Labor Department for the H2B status, and if they reject the ETA 750 Forum then im done I guess but I want to know if I have options (just for a backup plan).

thank you.

ImmigAttyLana

It may be possible for you to be sponsored if you can show that the parent/child relationship was established before a certain age. It sounds like your stepfather would be the one to file, as long as he is currently residing in the US.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Lana
Immigration Attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">