• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

k-1 visa marry in japan first

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

craig177

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I want to marry my fiancee who lives in Japan. Her parents request that I get married in Japan. I plan to submit the application for fiancee visa this week and get married the first week in Feb. and bring her back with me on the same trip. But I was reading the page poster here "American Citizen-Foreign National Marriages:VISA PROCEDURES". It says that I cannot get married before she comes to the US. Am I using the right form? Should I be approaching this differently.What is the name of your state?

ImmigAttyLana

You cannnot bring you back anyway on the same trip unless she has a valid visa by that time. Certainly if you get married in Japan, then a fiancee visa will no longer be possible since that is only for those people who are not yet married. You will be able to petition for her as your spouse but that would have to happen after you are married and return to the US to file for her and this will take about a year or so.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I want to marry my fiancee who lives in Japan. Her parents request that I get married in Japan. I plan to submit the application for fiancee visa this week and get married the first week in Feb. and bring her back with me on the same trip. But I was reading the page poster here "American Citizen-Foreign National Marriages:VISA PROCEDURES". It says that I cannot get married before she comes to the US. Am I using the right form? Should I be approaching this differently.What is the name of your state?
What Lana said, unfortunately.

You can have a family celebration in Japan, but nothing that constitues a legal marriage.
And if the officer at the border -suspects- that you've had a marriage, s/he is able (and they have done) to refuse her entry as a Fiancee until you can prove that you are not married. It's hard to prove a negative.

Proceed with caution.

craig177

I see!

Thank you for your responce. It is a good thing that I asked. I guess I will have to have a talk with her parents now. And if they are not flexable on this then it will be a year from Feb before she can be with me. This is not sounding good :confused: . If you have any other ideas for me I would love to hear them.

ImmigAttyLana

I guess it all depends on the reason the parents want you to be married in the US. If it is because they don't want their daughter to travel to the US as a single "girl" and want to make sure she is first married, then you might have to wait until you marry and then petition for her, which will take about a year.

If the parents simply want to be able to have you go through an official authentic Japanese ceremony, then you can have her come to the US as a fiancee, get legally married in the US through something that can be as simple as a courthouse ceremony and then later return to Japan for a full fledged wedding celebration.

You need to elaborate on the reasons and the thinking of her parents, if you are aware of these.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

ImmigAttyLana

I guess it all depends on the reason the parents want you to be married in the US. If it is because they don't want their daughter to travel to the US as a single "girl" and want to make sure she is first married, then you might have to wait until you marry and then petition for her, which will take about a year.

If the parents simply want to be able to have you go through an official authentic Japanese ceremony, then you can have her come to the US as a fiancee, get legally married in the US through something that can be as simple as a courthouse ceremony and then later return to Japan for a full fledged wedding celebration.

You need to elaborate on the reasons and the thinking of her parents, if you are aware of these.

craig177

knowing my options

Not quite sure why I need us to get married there, but understanding my options will help me to talk with them now. I will see how it goes. thank you for your suggestions and advise. I am sure I will have more questions as I keep going through the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">